About You Now (Decode - Four)

When you got home that night, Paul wasn't there. He'd been home by the looks of things, gotten changed, and gone straight back out again.

Thinking back to the conversation with Dave, you poured yourself a glass of wine and took your phone out, dialling your Mom. After exchanging pleasantries, you took a deep breath.

"Mom..... Would you and Daddy be upset with me if I left Paul?"
..

You didn't sleep that night. Paul rolled in at around 2am, not noticing the suitcases that you'd placed by the door, the bags you'd packed. He went straight to bed whilst you paced the apartment, drinking coffee. Leave now and leave a note, or tell him?

Finally at 4am, you went back into the bedroom and sat on the edge of the bed next to him. You nudged him awake.

"Go away.... " He mumbled.

"I am. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Wake up."

Pauls eyes opened and he squinted to see you.

"Let me guess, another case?" The disdain in his voice was apparent.

"No. I'm leaving you. For good."
...

There was no argument, in fact there were very few words exchanged after that. You both knew that there was no point in disputing it or trying to save it. There was nothing to save anymore.

So at 5am, you found yourself outside Spencers apartment again. Your bags were in your trunk, you would take them to Emily's later, or to Daves if she wouldn't have you. There was still a chance that Spencer would turn you away, after all, you'd messed him around so much without meaning to. You should have been honest months ago. Honest with everyone.

It was so easy that night,
Should have been strong, yeah I lied,
Nobody gets me like you,

You knocked on his door, calling his cell when he didn't answer. It was still so early and it took him a few minutes to answer the door when you told him you were outside.

He didn't speak when he did, sleep still clouding his features, his hair messy and light stubble covering his jaw.

"Y/N?"

I know everything changes,
All the cities and faces,
But I know how I feel about you,

He blinked a few times and then glanced down to your left hand. You knew what he was looking for, checking for. It was still there though. You hadn't taken it off, simply out of habit. He moved to close the door again.

"I love you" you blurted out, the words that you should have said weeks ago slipping off your tongue. You reached to your ring finger and quickly tugged the wedding band off, shoving it into your hand bag.

Spencer twitched, just because you'd said those words didn't mean you'd done it.

You tried again.

"My bags are in my car. I've.... I've told him."

He moved aside to let you in, closing his robe around him as he closed the door.

"It's over?" Spencer asked quietly.

"It's over. I'm sorry. I should have done this at the very beginning. I love you Spencer."

Can we bring yesterday back around,
'Cus I know how I feel about you now,
I was dumb, I was wrong, I let you down,
But I know how I feel about you now

You closed the space between you and waited. All this time he'd been waiting for you to say something, to do the right thing. And now you were waiting for him.