Shortstack

“Shoes… Oh my god! I love them, I need them!”

Penelope Garcia was squealing at you.

Loudly.

The team had just broken up from the morning meeting to discuss the agenda for the next few days. For once, there was no case so the team would mainly be on admin duties.

Your office buddy Penelope had caught sight of the new heels you were sporting and had fallen quite literally, head over heels in love with them.

“They are pretty nice, Y/N,” JJ eyed them appreciatively.

They were, and they’d cost you enough. You’d been admiring them in the store window for a few weeks now and had decided to treat yourself with your second pay check. You’d joined the team eights weeks ago as the secondary technical analyst, being made to feel perfectly at home in the already close knit team within a matter of hours.

“I wanna try them on… Pretty please! I know you’re the same size as me,” Penelope begged you.

“How the hell do you know that?” you asked her, watching her slip her own kitten heels off, wriggling her pink painted toes on the ground.

“It’s in your file.”

“My shoe size is in my file? Christ, is my bra size there too?”

“Actually it will be,” Dr Reid glanced up at you from his seat. “The bureau has all of our measurements on file for if we need to be kitted out in specialist clothing.”

“But I’m a technical analyst?” you perched on the table next to where he was sat.

“You might still need to be kitted out in Kevla. Garcia has had to join us in the field a few times,” he told you.

“Yes and each time was a horrific experience that I’d choose never to repeat if I had the choice. Enough talking….. Can I please try them on? I want your shoes but I don’t wanna buy them if I can’t walk in them,“ Penelope interrupted you both and you laughed, inching back on the table so you were actually sitting on it and removing your shoes one by one, holding them out so Penny could come and get them.

She slipped her feet into them, holding onto Derek and wobbling as she tried to stand.

“Oh my…. Oh my…. How on earth do you walk in these things. What are they, four…. five inch heels?” she grimaced, her feet obviously protesting to the angle they were forced into.

“Six actually,” you told her.

“Six inch heels…..How…. Why…. Six inches…. Oh god.” Penelope tried to walk, her ankles bending awkwardly as she grasped Derek.

“Nope. No matter how adorable they are, I can’t force myself to endure that amount of pain. Why do you do it? You wear these sorts of shoes everyday, Y/N.”

Garcia stepped out of them, a relieved look on her face as she sank back down to her normal height.

“Because I like them… They make me feel tall,” you told her. “No doubt my actual height is in my file too.”

“It is… But I can’t recall it, I don’t have the eidetic memory of Spencer, here. So stand up,” she demanded.

You went to slip the heels back on but she touched your arm.

“Without the heels, silly!”

You looked around at your colleagues, them eyeing you expectantly and slid off the table, preparing yourself for their comments.

They started to chuckle immediately.

“Oh baby girl, you really are a baby girl. You’re tiny.” Derek looked you up and down, taking in your tiny stature.

“Oh that’s adorable. You’re so cute and tiny!! I’m just wanna pick you up and put you in my pocket!” Penny gushed.

“I’m gonna start calling you Ma Petite….. I didn’t think the bureau employed any dwarves… ” Derek joked.

“Hey. Technically I’m not classed as a little person. I’m five foot.” Barely, and you had to make sure you stood very, very straight. But still.

“Five foot! Reid… Stand up next to her.” Penny clapped her hands.

“Yeah kid, you’re the tallest here, stand up next to her. This’ll be a laugh.”

Both Spencer and you rolled your eyes, but he obliged none the less. Unfolding his long body from his chair, he stood next you, Penny and Derek laughing hysterically at the height difference between you two.

“Oh that’s funny. Can you imagine if those two were together…. The neck ache they’d get from trying to kiss each other,” Penny commented and you glanced at Spencer, seeing his cheeks redden.

Yours did too, only slightly. The thought of kissing your handsome colleague making you feel warm and tingly.

“Little and large,” Derek guffawed.

“Lanky pants and short stack,” Penny joined in.

“Guys stop… Please. I hate comments about my height. That’s why I wear the heels,” you begged them to shut up, there wasn’t a name they could come up with that you hadn’t heard before.

“We’re sorry, Munchkin. We’re just teasing ya. You two look hella cute next to each other though,” Penelope gestured between you and Reid, and you felt your cheeks burning.

“Alright team, enough. Let’s get to work please,“ Hotch decided to break up the gathering, looking up from his seat.

The team split going their separate ways and you bent down to slip your shoes on, feeling relieved when you were back to the height you’d become accustomed to over the years. When you straightened up, you could see that Spencer had remained behind.

“I’m sorry about their teasing.”

You grinned at him, “Nah, it’s fine. I’m used to it. I just hate how sometime, people treat me like a little kid cos I’m so tiny.”

“I promise never to do that, Y/N. It is…. Erm… It is kinda cute though.”

“Oh….?” you raised an eyebrow at him, seeing him fidget awkwardly.

“Well… I mean…. Erm… I think you’re actually kinda cute….Actually no….not cute…. Erm…Ithinkyou'rebeautifulactually.”

The last part came out in a rush, all one word and you blushed deeper when you realised what he’d said.

“You do?”

Oh god…

“Erm…. Yeah….” he stood, shuffling his feet, his hands twitching slightly.

“I think you’re kinda beautiful too, Dr Reid.”

His eyes shot to yours and you smiled at him, a slow grin forming on his lips.

“Do you…. Would you…. Could we maybe go for coffee one night after work?” he asked quietly, fully aware that Agent Hotchner was still within ear shot.

“That would be great. And And don’t worry….I live in heels so you won’t have to worry about getting neck ache!”

His grin grew wider and you matched his facial expressions.

“I’d live with neck ache if it meant I got to kiss you,” he whispered softly.

“Same Spencer, same.”