Jason Waterfalls

Emily and Tara. Anyone reading We All Fall Down may recognise the pairing - on my tumblr, the reader character of that story is known as Laura.

Tara’s nosed twitched as she was lying in her bed. She’d been contemplating if she was ready to crawl out from under her duvet covers yet and had just about decided that no, she wasn’t when the distinct smell of bacon began to permeate the air. That was enough to change her mind and she threw back the covers and pulled on her robe.

As she made her way out of her bedroom and downstairs she noted that the door to their guest bedrrom, the room that was currently being occupied by their friend Laura, was wide open. She smiled, that meant that Laura had made it to work today. When she’d met the girl and began to learn her story Tara had been worried that maybe she wouldn’t be able to change the seemingly self destructive path she’d been on. But the job that Emily had helped her to get was step one on Laura’s journey and after her first day yesterday, Tara was pleased to see that she had gone back.

As she padded downstairs she could hear her lover crooning along to the radio, the device tuned to a station that played a “throwback” session every morning. This morning’s throwback track included some TLC and as she made her way into the kitchen Tara frowned.

Emily had Sergio in her arms, dancing around as she sang along to the song. That was an adorable sight, one that usually made Tara grin. It wasn’t the dancing that had caused her to frown, but the words that her partner was singing.

“Don’t go Jason Waterfalls, please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you’re used too…..”

Jason? Jason Waterfalls?

Emily spun around and saw Tara watching her, noting the look of confusion on her face.

“Oh hey babe, I’m making bacon.”

“I can see that. But….What are you singing?”

Emily chuckled. “Oh come on. As if you don’t know this song.”

“Oh I know the song, I’m just not sure you do,” Tara replied just as the track was leading into its chorus again. “Sing along for me.”

Emily gave her a curious look but obliged none the less. “Don’t go Jason Waterfalls…..”

“There! Jason! Who the hell is Jason Waterfals?”

Emily laughed and shook her head, not seeing the problem. “I don’t know do I? I assume he’s the man they don’t want to leave them.”

The look on Emily’s face told Tara that she wasn’t joking and that she 100 percent believed that they were the actual lyrics to the song. She began to giggle, it quickly escalting into a full on laughing fit.

“Hey, look I know I can’t sing but I’m not that funny!”

“It’s….it’s not that….” Tara managed to get her breath back. “The….the line is….oh god, it’s Don’t go chasing waterfalls. Not Jason Waterfalls.”        

“Wait, what?”

“Don’t go chasing waterfalls, not don’t go Jason Waterfalls. It’s not about a man called Jason Waterfalls, Em!”

Emily frowned, her brow creasing as she took in what her partner had just said. The song had ended so she could no longer listen to it to clarify but everytime she had sung that song over the many years it had had been around, she had always sung that lyric.

“That makes no sense though. Who chases waterfalls anyway?”

Tara shook her head, still laughing to herself. She reached into her robe pocket and clicked a few links. “Here, read this. I’ll watch the bacon.” She handed Emily her phone, watching as she scanned the text Tara had pulled up, breaking down the lyrics and the actual meaning of the song.

“Well,” Emily handed the phone back. “Guess that explains why I get such odd looks whenever I used to sing that song on karaoke.”

“Karaoke.Where you have the lyrics on the screen in front on you?” Tara questioned.

“Tara, have you ever seen me do karaoke sober?” Tara shook her head. “Exactly.”

Emily took the pan off the stove and started plating up, humming the new, correct lyrics of the song under her breath.

“I can’t wait to tell Laura about this later.”

Emily spun around to face her, a plate of bacon in her hand. “You do that and I’ll tell her how you thought the first line to Summer of 69 was I had my first real sex dream.”

“At least that makes sense!” Tara had forgotten about that. “As if a song with the numbers 69 in the title isn’t about sex.”

“Baby, he talks about playing it until his fingers bled.”

“I rest my case.”