Drabble Prompts: Blood

A/N: I'm not sure if this is anything like what the requester was after but here goes...

...

Spencer loved cooking dinner for his girlfriend. Y/N was fabulous, she'd turned up out of the blue after a terrible case that had him thinking that nothing was right with the world and over a year later, they were very much in love.

"Spencer?" Y/N called out as she entered the apartment.

"In the kitchen!"

He spun around from where he was chopping vegetables, knife still in his hand, to see her come speeding towards him her arms outstretched ready for a hug.

She didn't see the knife and he didn't drop it in time.

She ran straight into it, it plunging deep into her stomach.

Rather than hearing the anguished cry out that he'd expected, she started rambling about her day, asking what was for dinner and what he'd been up to. Reid stared helplessly down at her stomach, the black end of the blade sticking out from her dress.

"Y/N?"

"Hmmm? What?"

He gestured wildly down to her abdomen, confused as to why she couldn't feel the pain.

"Are you... Okay? How can you not feel that? We need to get you to the hospital."

She glanced down at her tummy, spotting the object protuding from it.

"Oh... This?"she gripped the blade and pulled it out, not even wincing. She placed the knife on the counter and continued talking, Spencer not even taking in what she was saying.

"Why aren't you... Why is there... There should be blood? There's no blood. Why is there no blood?" Reid felt light-headed suddenly, like the walls were closing in on him. This didn't make any sense.

"Why would there be blood sweetie?"

"I.... I stabbed you? You ran into the knife. There should be blood! Why aren't you bleeding?"

Y/N grinned at him sweetly, "Why would I bleed? I'm a figment of your imagination, I'm not real. Only real people bleed. You should know that silly!"

What?

Spencer started to hyperventilate, everything suddenly feeling fuzzy as he felt a sharp prick at the side of his neck. Then everything slowly faded to black.

...

The Doctor looked over to his assisting nurse, a sad look on his face.

"It's such a shame. He seemed to be making progress."

"Do you think he'll ever recover?" the nurse asked him.

"It's hard to say. He's been here for eighteen months now. He was such a brilliant man too."