Decode - One

The day you'd met Spencer Reid was both a blessing and a curse.

How can I decide what's right
When you're clouding up my mind?
I can't win your losing fight all the time

He was everything you wanted in a man. Kind, caring, considerate and funny, intelligent and brave. He was attractive, extremely so, and the two of you shared the same interests in films, TV shows and literature. He understood you, you could talk to him about anything and everything, and you had done on multiple occasions. You two would be perfect for each other.

The only problem was, you were married.

Transferring to the BAU and moving states should have been good for your marriage. It took you both away from her, the secretary who had threatened your marriage. But Paul had convinced you to give him another chance, that throwing away five years together on what he referred to as a fling, wasn't worth it. So you believed him. You forgave him. You both packed up house and moved, starting new jobs and making new friends.

That was two years ago. And the first year had been fine. You'd rekindled some of the romance you'd lost, you made more of an effort with each other and you worked on the relationship. Then around eleven months ago the arguments started. Your new position took you away too much, and when you were home, Paul was at work. Paul didn't trust that you were spending nights away with male team members, he didn't approve of your friendship with Spencer. And you didn't trust that yet again, he'd hired a young female secretary that bore a strong resemblance to the last one. So you argued. And almost every time, one of you would walk out. He'd go and get drunk in a bar and roll into bed in the early hours, stinking of rum and begging forgiveness. Or you'd leave and you'd go to Emily, or JJ, or more recently, Spencer. The girls would ply you with wine and hugs and advice, and Spencer would just listen and be there for you. He never tried to tell you what you should do, whereas the girls had told you time and time again to leave. You could stay with them, they'd both offered,their spare rooms were yours for the taking.

Nor can I ever own what's mine
When you're always taking sides

You didn't know what to do, you didn't know what you wanted anymore. But you knew you didn't deserve this. You didn't deserve a man who cheated on you, who accused you of the same thing he'd done himself. But you couldn't leave. You didn't didn't know how to.

What you also knew was that the more time you spent around Spencer, the more you wished he was your husband and not Paul. And you got the feeling that he did too.

Tonight's argument had been just the same as the others. There'd been yelling and crying, accusations thrown around from the two of you, callous and harsh insults exhausted. Finally when you'd had enough, you grabbed your bag and stormed out. You'd had enough.

But you won't take away my pride
No not this time
Not this time

You'd had two glasses of wine whilst cooking dinner, a dinner that was now ruined, so you couldn't drink. So instead you walked, you walked through the city in the pouring rain heading to the only place that felt safe and like home to you right now.

He opened the door to you almost immediately. This was an old routine, one that you went through every two weeks or so now. You, turning up at Spencers door with no warning, tears streaming down your face.

This time when he saw you soaked and shivering, he led you straight into his bedroom whilst he fetched towels.

"You should have called me, I'd have picked you up." He whispered as he tugged your sopping wet cardigan off and wrapped soft terrycloth around your shoulders.