All I Want

She stood there unmoving and as yet unseen. She didn’t take in the scene around her, didn’t see the looks on other people’s faces or hear any of their words. All she could take in was the view of him. She hadn’t thought she’d see him again. Had been so sure she wouldn’t be able to come today. But when it came down to it she didn’t have a choice. No one had forced her to come but she knew that if she didn’t, it would haunt her for the rest of her life.

All I want is nothing more

To hear you knocking at my door

‘Cause if I could see your face once more

I could die a happy girl I’m sure

He was deep in conversation or as deep in conversation as he could be. The long journey had weakened him further but he’d known it would, they’d all know it would. As drained as he looked though, she thought he looked happy. His chair was nowhere to be seen, the chair she’d become so accustomed to over the years and the chair that he had grown to hate. Perhaps he’d asked it to he removed, after all he wouldn’t he needing it again, she thought sadly, the lump in her throat now too large to even pretend it wasn’t there. She turned away briefly, wiping the falling tears from her eyes and in that moment, he saw her.

“Y/N? You… you came.” His words were slurred somewhat and she couldn’t tell whether it was simply from the latest stroke or from the medication.

“I couldn’t not Spencer.”

His mother moved from her perch on the side of his bed, the rest of his friends finally sensing her presence in the room and clearing a path for her. She stepped towards him and stopped, her eyes going to the clock on his bedside table. There was a schedule to this she knew, and as someone who had spent most of her life adhering to schedules and itinerarys, this was one schedule she hated and did not want to be part of.

“Y/N….” He said her name again and she told her body to move, to go to him. That this was necessary.

Who for though?

She moved forward and sank onto the bed, Spencer reaching for her hand and taking it, a happy but lopsided smile adorning his face.

“Thank you. Thank you for being here.”

“I couldn’t not.” She repeated her words, unsure she could say anything else to him or to anyone else in the room. It didn’t matter to him though. All that mattered was that she had come.

His mother Diana, handed her a photo album, an album Y/N had put together for him especially, for his many trips.

“Spencer wanted to look through this again. Perhaps you should look through it with it Y/N.”

Y/N nodded and turned the first page, not noticing his friends moving towards the back of the room in an effort to give them space, precious time alone. She smiled at the first photo as did he, fond memories filling both of their minds for the next hour.

So you brought out the best of me,

A part of me I’ve never seen.

You took my soul and wiped it clean.

Our love was made for movie screens.

The time recalling precious memories came to and end all too quickly as she knew it would. When the photo album was closed shut the door to the room opened and a woman entered. It was almost as if she had timed it perfectly, like she’d been waiting for them to finish. Aside from her name badge she was dressed in normal clothing, no uniform to make her stand out as a clinician.

“Dr Reid?” She addressed Spencer only, not actually asking him a verbal question. Still, with a glance to the clock he understood and he nodded.

“I need to ask anyone who is not prepared for the next steps to leave the room.”

Y/N waited yet no one else left. They were all here for him right until the very end. She couldn’t though. She just couldn’t. She moved off the bed and when she looked back, Spencer’s face hadn’t changed. He was still smiling at her.

“I know you can’t stay for this Y/N. But thank you for coming. I love you so much and I couldn’t have beared for you to not be here.”

She nodded and started to walk towards to door, trying to ignore the looks of his friends. She knew they were judging her for not saying it back. And she was just judging herself to. Just when she made it to the door she turned back.

“I…. I…. Goodbye Spencer.”

“I love you Y/N,” he repeated, his voice now weak and weary.

She walked through the door without saying it back.

But if you loved me

Why’d you leave me?

Take my body,

Take my body.

All I want is,

And all I need is

To find somebody.

I’ll find somebody.

She couldn’t wait outside the room, she couldn’t be there for the final outcome. Instead she got into her rental car and drove back to the hotel room, pouring an extremely large drink from the minibar and staring outside her window at the view.

She’d wanted to come to this country for years but now she knew that she could never come back to Switzerland.

If you loved me

Why’d you leave me?

Take my body,

Take my body.

All I want is,

And all I need is

To find somebody.

I’ll find somebody like you.