Picture Perfect - Two

Ever since the wedding fayre there had been a weird atmosphere between you and Spencer, one that neither of you acknowledged.

You couldn’t get the description of his fake proposal out of your head, nor could you stop replaying the moment by your apartment door as he was leaving.

Should you have kissed him?

Did you even want to kiss him?

Yes.

Yes you did. So very badly.

You couldn’t believe you never realised it before but you had feelings for Spencer. Actual feelings. And now that stupid wedding fayre had made you realise it, you couldn’t make the feelings go away.

When you were near him you wanted to touch him, to hug him, to smoosh your face up against his. When you were away from him, you wondered what he was doing, worried more than usual about if he was safe or not when away on a case. You’d even dreamed about him, more than once, and one of the those dreams was the sort where you woke up needing a cold shower.

This wasn’t good.

At all.

You were stuck though. Because he was your best friend. Your best fucking friend. You couldnt outrightly ask him if he felt anything for you because if he didn’t, that was the friendship over. But what if he did? What if you two were the otp that the world was waiting for?

What if?

You hated what ifs. Despised them. You’d rather not have regrets so you knew that at some point, you were going to have to tell him.

How though?

“You were quiet tonight,” Penelope rolled over on her double bed. You two had gone out for a night of drinking with Spencer and Morgan and you’d decided to spend the night at hers so you could have some girly gossip time.

“Was I?” The lights were off and the room was dark but you could feel Penelope looking at you in that concerned way she had.

“Yeah. Are you and Spencer okay? It seemed….. I dunno, kinda awkward at times between you.”

Oh. So it was noticeable then. Crap.

“Me and Spencer are fine.”

“Are you sure? You can tell me you know. Have you had an argument? Do I need to hurt him?”

“No…. ” Should you tell her?

“Y/N, I can tell something’s wrong.” She reached out and touched your arm and you sighed.

“I think I like Spencer.”

The words hung in the air and you waited for your friends reaction. It came a few moments later.

“Before I start planning weddings here I need to be sure. LIKE like him? Like…. You like him?”

You nodded then realising she couldn’t see you. “Yes, I like like him. It’s an extremely new development but it’s becoming a massive issue for me.”

You heard a squeak and flipped on Penelope’s beside lamp to see her covering her mouth trying to suppress her squeals of joy.

“Oh god Penny. Don’t start with the high pitchedness. Nothing’s happened.”

“But…. But you want it to.”

“Yes. Except…. I don’t know if he feels the same, I don’t know if we’d even work together as a couple. And I certainly can’t figure out how to ask or tell him.”

“This is amazing. How though, when did it change for you?”

You told her the story of the wedding fayre and the fake proposal and at the end of story she had tears softly running over her cheeks.

“Y/N…. That’s how. That’s how you tell him.”

You had to wait a full week. A full nerve racking week. But you made the plans. You made a play list of his favourite songs, you packed a picnic basket full of his favourite foods and you painstakingly put together a photo album.

And so here you were, sat at the top of a hill in your local park, a place where you and Reid came sometimes to feed the ducks when it was nice out. A place he had tried desperately and patiently to teach you how to play chess, something he still hadn’t managed to accomplish.

You were dressed in a light blue summer dress and a black shrug. An outfit you’d worn a few times last year and you could recall Spencer complimenting you in it. He was in worn jeans and a t shirt, a cardigan thrown over the top, his wrist watch over the cuff of the jacket.

You were sat opposite each other and you knew he was taking in the setting, the food, the music that you were playing. You kinda felt stupid but Penelope had insisted it was the perfect way to do this. It probably would be, except for the fact that you hadn’t spoken to him since you’d got here. You didn’t know how to.

“Y/N….. Erm…. This is all really nice.” Spencer looked over at you and then quickly glanced away again.

You just nodded, picking at a patch of daisies that were off to the side of the picnic blanket.

“Y/N, is everything okay?”

No. No it wasn’t.

You were in love with your best friend. There was nothing okay about that.

“I…… ” You voice was strangled and you coughed, taking a sip of cloudy lemonade to try to clear your throat. The bitterness of the lemon only made it worse and you spluttered, Spencer sliding over to you and patting your back gently, handing you water.

“ I….. Oh fuck….. I…. I made this for you.” You reached into your bag and pulled out the photo album, tossing it at him.

“Oh… OH!”

Bringing your knees up to your chest and hugging them, you hid your face, burying it in your knees. Turning to the side every so often you snuck a glance at Spencer as he turned page after page of photos of the two of you, studying each one. When he reached the final page with the piece of string, you squeezed your eyes shut and held your breath, knowing that at the end of that string was a note.

“Spencer, you’re my best friend. 

But… 

I’m kinda in love with you. 

I’m sorry!”

“Oh…”

Oh?

That was all he could say? Oh fucking fuck, this was a mistake. You hoped Penelope had a fuck ton of wine, you were going to need it.

“Y/N…. Why are you sorry?” You felt Spencer shuffling closer to you and then placing his hands on your arms, tugging them away from your legs so that your face wasn’t hidden anymore.

“Erm… For ruining our friendship?” You still had your eyes closed. It was childish but you couldn’t bear to look at him.

“Y/N, will you please open your eyes and look at me?”

Reluctantly you did, surprised to see that his face was only inches from yours. His brown eyes locked onto yours and he gently placed his fingers under your chin, tilting your face upwards.

“I’m kinda in love with you too, Y/N.”

“Oh… ”

“Yeah, oh.”

You stared at each other for the longest moment before Spencer made the first move, closing the gap between your mouths and pressing his lips against yours.

Penelope was going to have kittens when she heard about this.