Firetruck

It was the day of the party, and of course being me I forgot to get Exton his present. I had saved just enough money to buy him a really nice firetruck toy. I knew he would love it. I went to the toy store and looked for it. After a few minutes of searching I finally found it.

I picked it up and didn't even look at the price tag, which was a idiot move.

"That will be 250 dollars please." the old man cashier said.

I looked in my purse. I only had 150.

"I um... I.. can't afford that." I said.

The cashier shook his head. "I'm sorry miss."

I grabbed the toy and went to put it back on the shelf when I ran into someone.

"Sorry, I -- wait, Noel?"

"Jack? What are you doing here?"

"I uh, like to come here sometimes and get toys for the children in the hospital."

Oh my gosh how sweet. I never knew he was that type of person.

He looked at the toy firetruck in my arms.

"Where you going to buy that?" he asked.

"Yeah, it was for my friends, son's birthday. But I don't have enough."

He waved his hand for me to give it to him.

"Hold on a second."

He came back a couple minutes later and brought it back, it was in a bag.

He handed it to me, smiling. "Here you go."

I looked down at the bag and shook my head. "You really didn't have to do that."

"I know, but I wanted to." He said still smiling, looking deep into my eyes.

"You know, I never did give me your number."

I thought about it. Should I give it to him? You can just be friends you know. Plus he went out of his way and paid for this, so he deserves it.

"I'm sorry, here." I said motioning for his phone.

He handed it to me and punched in my number. I gave him mine and he did the same.

"I'll talk to you later."

"Okay." I replied.

I went home and got ready for the party. I wrapped Exton's gift and got in my car to go to Susan's new house.

It was a pretty nice house, she had valet parking and there were balloons that read "Exton 2 Years" on it. I had my car parked and went into the backyard. It was huge. Just like the one at Robert's house. They had carnival rides, a petting zoo, balloon makers, snow cone and cotton candy machines, you name it. There was a big banner that said "Exton's Circus". I walked around and saw a bunch of people that worked on movies with Susan, and there kids running around screaming and playing. I didn't really know to many of the people. I walked to the table where the many gifts were sitting for Exton and put it down when I felt a tap on the shoulder.

It was Susan. "Noel, I'm glad you could make it!" she said smiling.

"Thanks for inviting me, this is a awesome party, you did a great job."

"Thank you! It took a month of planning but Exton seems to love it."

"So, where is my little birthday boy?" I asked.

"Oh, he is inside, my nanny is changing him into his birthday outfit but she says she needs help. Can you go in there? He is being fussy and you always seem to cheer him up."

I agreed. "Okay."

She led me into where he was. She opened the door and walked away. I went into the room. I didn't see Exton in there, or the nanny. I just saw a familer back facing toward the window. He turned around and faced me. It was Robert.

Please feedback for next chapter. Thanks for reading. xoxo