Premature

Where's Robert?! I need Robert! I yelled. Everyone was running around me. Tom and Mark carried me to Susan's car.

"He is coming darling, don't worry." Tom said trying to calm me down.

I saw Robert run right behind him. "Don't worry babe I'm here, I'm here." He said, getting into the seat next to me and rubbing my back. As soon as Robert got in, Susan took off like fucking Speed Racer, which the sudden jolting made it hurt worse.

I screamed in pain. "Ow f*ck!" I yelled grabbing my stomach.

"Shh babe, we are almost there."

"Don't you dare fucking shush me Robert John Downey Jr!"

He backed off. I think he understood labor pains.

We got to the hospital and they got me a room right away. Robert Sr. and Elsie were on there way in there car. Did I mention they moved here to L.A? And that they are back together. Probably a bad time to mention that huh?

Everyone at the shower wanted to come, but I guess Robert told them to go home. I felt bad that I left everyone hanging like that. I was having a good time, but now I'm in pain and scared because I'm not due until June, and it's April.

I got rushed in on a wheelchair, and they immediately took me into my own room. I think it partially had to do with being sort of famous for being Robert Downey Jr's fiancée. Susan stayed in the waiting room while Robert was right next to me at all times.

The doctor rushed in checked me. He sighed. "You're going into early labor. The baby will be very premature. She might have life threatening heart problems, or she could have some mental issues. She will need to be in ICU in a incubator to protect her from getting sick. That's all we can do now. I'm so sorry."

I wiped the sweat from my brow. "What?! You can't do anything?"

"All we can do is put her in a incubator, and just hope that she will grow and not have any problems."

I started crying, Robert did to, he rubbed my arm.

"Did I do something wrong?" I cried out and asked the doctor.

"These things just happen, Noel. I'm sorry. Like I said, we just have to hope for the best."

I got another pain. I screamed from it.

The nurse looked under my hospital gown.

"Doctor, I see a head." She said, and the doctor went over to me to take a look for himself.

"She is dilated at 10%." He looked up at me. I was still crying in pain. Not only from the painful contractions, but from the painful news that my baby might not live a normal life.

"Noel, I'm going to have to have you push."

The nurse held one leg open, Robert held the other.

"But my baby. She's to early!" I yelled, I saw Robert look at me with his eyes watery.

"We have no choice Noel." The doctor said. I cried still but nodded.

"Slide down a little for me honey." The nurse said as I did what she asked, putting myself in a better position.

"Fuuck!" I yelled, in pain.

A stray hair got in front of my face, Robert moved it behind my ear.

"Noel, you can do this." He whispered, kissing my head.

I pushed. "You have to try harder." The doctor said.

"I'm trying! I I.... I... can't!" I yelled at him.

Robert turned my head to the side by my chin lightly with his index finger to face him. He put one hand on my left cheek, looking me in the eyes. His face was red from crying, which made me cry harder.

"Noel. Look at me. You're going to get through this okay? You're strong. You need to push, baby." He said, still staring into my eyes.

I was silent for a second, then nodded.

He nodded in response and kissed my forehead, and whispered. "I love you." Before he let go of me. I went back to my position I was in and started pushing. Robert gave me his hand, and I squeezed it tight because of the pain.

"Just one more push Noel!" The doctor said.

I gripped on Robert's hand again, and with all my might, I pushed. I think I broke a blood vessel in my face, I was pushing that hard.

The baby was out now, but no crying. The nurses and doctors took her away before I could even hold her.

I was breathing heavily. "Why isn't she breathing?! Why isn't she breathing?!"

This is not the birth I wanted. Having a baby is supposed to be beautiful, there is supposed to be nothing wrong. I started crying again. I was still in pain, and they took my baby girl away from me.

Robert ran over to the room where the doctor took her. "Why isn't my daughter breathing?!" He yelled, I could hear from my room.

Robert's P.O.V

"Mr. Downey, I'm going to have to ask you to stay out for a while okay?" The doctor said.

"Well fucking ask me!" I yelled, trying to push him out of the way.

Security was pulling me off of him, and kicked me out of the room.

"My daughter!" I cried, and put my back against the wall and slid down it to the floor.

After crying for a bit, I went back to Noel. They gave her I.V's and medication.

"Did you see her?" She asked, her beautiful blue eyes bloodshot and watery.

"They, they won't let me." I said, choking up and starting to cry.

I walked over to her and hugged her. Both of us crying into each other.We didn't say anything, we just cried. After a while, We eventually fell asleep.

Mom and Dad and Susan where in the waiting room still, not knowing what was going on, so I got up and told them. I could see they all were trying to hide there tears, but they didn't do a good job.

"I'm so sorry hon, I'm really sorry." My mom cried in my chest hugging me.

I told them all to go home, and that I would call them when I get news.

I went back to the room, and Noel was still fast asleep. She was exhausted. I went next to her and stroked her hair, rubbing her arm lightly. Why does this sh*t always happen to us?

I guess I fell asleep again, because I was awaken by a nurse a hour or so later.

"Mr. Downey, the doctor wants to speak to you outside."

I nodded and rubbed my eyes. I got up, trying not wake Noel up, and walked outside the room. The doctor was waiting for me with a clipboard in one hand and his other in his pocket.

"Mr. Downey. We got your daughter to start breathing. We did many tests on her. She is in critical condition. Her heart isn't fully developed, but we will keep her in the incubator as long as we can to help her grow. We don't know for sure if she will grow up with heart problems, and she has a higher chance getting Down syndrome. We are going to try the best we can to get her to be healthy so she can live a normal life."

I wiped my eyes and sniffled my nose. "Thank you doctor." I said. "May I see her?" I asked.

He nodded and led me to Pediatric ICU.

I walked into the room, she was in a incubator, cords everywhere, her heart monitor beeping. I couldn't hold her, so I just sat next to her. She was so small, I could see her small chest rising up and down, breathing. Her little head had a pink baby beanie on it, the beanie was to big for her. She was wearing a diaper, that was too big for her as well. She was about half the size of my arm. Despite her being so small, I could see that she looked exactly like her mother. She was making the same facial expressions Noel made when she was sleeping. She is beautiful. I just wish that she didn't have to go through this. I put my hand on the machine and cried.
"Happy Birthday, Adeline." I whispered. She squirmed a bit at the sound of my voice. I put my hand on the glass.
"Shh, It's okay Adeline. It's just Daddy. I'm here, I'm here."

"I love you." I said, putting my head on the glass, tears escaping again.

Noel's P.O.V
I woke up from my sleep, very sore. I got up to use the restroom, which burnt like hell. I called the nurse to help me, and she came in.

"Where is my fiancée?" I asked her.

"He is in ICU with you daughter." She told me.

"Would you like to see her?" I nodded and she led me to her.

As soon as I walked in, I saw Robert sitting there, watching her every move.

She was so tiny, it was scary. Despite that, she was beautiful. She looked like the perfect mixture of Robert and I. I hoped she had his beautiful eyes.

Robert noticed me and gave me a slight smile.

"Mama's here, Adeline." He whispered to our small daughter.

I walked over to them. He told me everything the doctor said. There is not much we can do now but hope she grows successfully. I sat there looking at her, crying my eyes out, hoping she will get better.
----------------------------------------------
10 comments or more for next chapter