Chapter 12: Lawyers and Piggy-Back Rides

"This is the comfiest sweater I've ever put on my body," you said. "Why don't we wear them to the grocery store. I have a few things to pick up," Dan suggested. "Ok, but only I you give me a piggy-back ride," you declared. Dan rolled his eyes, "Fine!" He smirked. You hopped on his back and he started walking to the store.

"Dan, did you know my birthday is in a few weeks?" you asked him. "No, you have never told me," he said. "Actually," you began, "we met a couple weeks after my birthday last year. Can you believe we met almost a year ago?" you exclaimed. He said, "And in that year I have fallen hopelessly on love with you." you put yours hands over his eyes. "Hey! what're you doing up there!" he laughed. He started to wobble and almost fell over. "You remind me of a baby giraffe," you giggled. "A what?" Dan asked. "A baby giraffe, because you are clumsy," you replied, matter-of-factly. He laughed.

He bought ingredients to bake a birthday cake, and a few other groceries. "What are you getting me for my birthday?" you asked Dan. "I'm not entirely sure yet," he replied. You pretended to play the bongos on his head.

When you arrived back at home, you glanced at the calendar. "Shit!" you exclaimed. "What?" Dan asked as he walked up beside you. "The court date it tomorrow!" you stressed. "Don't worry Maddy! My brothers friend is a lawyer. We can get him to make a quick report for us. Let me just say that he's pretty damned good!" Dan said coolly. You let out a sigh of relief.

Dan was right. The lawyer had came up with a very elaborate testamony. He had also helped you with your speech. "See you tomorrow!" you said to him before he left. "What'd I tell you!" Dan said excitedly. "We're gonna win!" he started hopping up and down.