Chapter 89: Strong

It was very late, and you woke up tot he sound of a knock on the door. Dan slipped out of bed to answer it, and you sat up. You heard him open the door, and then there was a lot of whispering. Dan came back into the room white as a sheet. "Dan? What is going on?" you asked him. "We have to go. Now," he replied and began to pack his stuff. "Wait, what?" you asked cluelessly. "We are moving, changing our names. We are creating a whole new life for us," he answered. You wanted to know who was at the door, and what they said, but decided that it was better not to. You helped him pack all of your things.

In the morning, you were scheduled to start chemo. "Dan, I have chemo today," you said. "Shit," he muttered. "What do we do now?" you asked. "You go to your appointment, and then we leave," he replied. You nodded, and sat down beside him. "Dan, who was at the door last night?" you questioned. "No one, I don't want you to worry," he answered, and wrapped his arms around you. "Thank you for protecting me Daniel," you whispered. "It's my job," he smiled. You kissed his cheek, and he giggled. "I love you Maddy," Dan said. "I love you too," you replied.

Your chemo went well, but you felt sick afterwards. "I don't feel good Dan," you complained. "I feel so bad for making you travel, but I need to keep you safe," he replied. Before the chemo, you shaved your hair. Dan did as well, so you didn't feel alone. "I know," you said. Dan held your hand in his, "You are so strong," he complimented. "How so?" you asked. "You have had all this crap happen in your life, yet you are still happy and strong and beautiful," he explained. You kissed him, and he smiled into the kiss. "You are what keeps me strong Dan," you admitted. Dan held you in his arms.