Chapter 57: Strength

After Dan had the dream, neither of you could get back to sleep. "Madeline," Dan croaked. "Yea," you asked. "Do you have any siblings?" Dan asked. You began to cry. "Hey, sorry. Please don't cry, you don't have to answer that," Dan cooed. "He died when I was 11. My dad killed him. That's why he's in jail," you began. "One day he was drunk, and he started beating us both. My brother, his name was Mark. He was 15 at the time. He stood up for us. I forget exactly what he said, but my dad pulled out a knife and-" you trailed off. "I'm so sorry," Dan cried. He pulled you into his warm embrace. "He was my best friend," you cried. He stroked the back of your head.

You sat like that silently for a while before you said, "Daniel, you are the strongest person I've ever met. All this crap is going on in your life. I mean you just lost both your parents and yet, you haven't changed. You are still the same man I fell in love with." He pulled away from the hug and held both of your hands. He looked into your eyes, "Madeline, I may be strong, but I am nothing compared to you."

"Lets do something fun," Dan said that morning. "Like what?" you asked him. "How about a road trip?" he suggested. You jumped up and down. "I've always wanted to go on a road trip!" you yelled. You hugged him, and ran off to pack. "Let's take my dad's old truck," Dan offered. "Yes! we can sleep in the back!" you replied. "Where are we gonna go?" he asked. "No where in particular, just where the load leads us," you replied. He nodded and shoved some stuff in a backpack, including a few mixtapes he had made.