Chapter 47: Trouble

"I love it here," you said to Dan. He looked at you, "It's so much more peaceful here, I love it too. I'm so happy we moved here," he replied. "Am I a burden to you? I mean I nearly got you killed many times," you muttered. He stared at you, then quietly whispered, "You are the best thing that happened to me. Never call yourself a burden, ever." He began to tear up. "I want you to know that I wouldn't be able to live without you," he added. You hugged him.

There was a knock on the door. Dan went to answer it. "Hello?" he yelled out the door. There was an envelope on the ground and he picked it up. It said 'For Madeline' in letters from magazines on the front. He sat beside you and let you open it. 'We found you. Did you think you could get away? We will kill you and your little boyfriend.' It read, still written in the magazine letters. "We need to show Will and Woody," you mumbled. Dan nodded and tossed a phone to you.

"I need to show you something," you said on the phone. "Ok, we'll be there in a couple minutes," Woody answered. "Ok," you said before hanging up. "They're on their way," you said to Dan. He nodded and replied, "Everything's gonna be fine." You hugged him and rested your head on his chest.

"What did you need to show us?" Will asked when the two of them arrived. You handed him the envelope. They scanned over the paper. "Hmm," Woody muttered. "We need to crack down on the security of the two of you," Will said. "I want you to text me when either of you are leaving the house so we can protect you," he finished. You nodded. "I want to thank you guys so much," Dan added. He shook their hands. "I don't want you guys to go what we went through. It was so hard," Will began to tear up. "Well, we'd better get going," Woody suggested. "Thanks again," Dan said before they walked out the door.

You began to sob. "What's wrong baby?" Dan asked you. He looked concerned as he held you in his arms. "My life is out of control. I thought we moved away from all this bullshit," you cried. Your tears made wet marks on his grey sweater. He kissed your cheek, then rested his chin on your head. "I'm just glad I'm with you," he whispered after a while. He sat down on the couch, and you sat down beside him, with your arms wrapped around each other. "Daniel, if it wasn't for you I'd most likely be dead right now," you cried. He held you closer, and tears ran down his cheeks. You rested your forehead on his, and looked into his watery eyes.