Chapter 26: Silent Visitor

Dan opened his eyes. "Hi Daniel, how do you feel?" you asked. "My chest kinda hurts," he complained. "Can you tell me what happened now?" he asked. you looked at him, "I guess," you said.

"Kyle took you into our room and said he needed to talk to you. He looked nervous. I heard a gunshot afterwards, and ran into the room. You were laying on the floor and Kyle was crying. He said if he didn't shoot you they'd kill him," you explained. "Fucking bastard," Dan muttered. You kissed Dan, "I'm so glad you're ok Dan, I don't know how I'd ever live without you," you began to cry. He reached up and dried your eyes. "Don't worry about me Madeline, I'll be fine,"

Someone knocked on the door. "Come in," you said. Kyle walked in. His eyes looked red and puffy, like he was crying. He didn't say anything, neither did you or Dan. He simply placed a bouquet of flowers on Dan's bedside table, and left. Attached to the flowers was a note. 'They're coming for you.' it read. You grabbed the note and tossed it in the garbage.

A nurse came in, and said Dan was well enough to go home, but needed to make sure his wound didn't reopen. You grabbed his stuff and walked him to the car. "What did the note say?" Dan asked you. "Uh, it um, it said, I'm sorry," you lied. "Madeline, I might be hurt, but I'm not stupid," Dan protested. You told him what it really said. "I will protect you," he promised.