Chapter 71: Followed

"C'mon Maddy! Let's get this trip on the road!" Dan exclaimed before pulling you into the truck. The dogs were sitting in the backseat. Dan began to play some music and you sang along to it.

It began to get dark, and the two of you were sleepy. "Lets find somewhere to sleep," Dan said. You yawned in agreement. The dogs were already asleep. He soon found a field and parked in the middle of it. It was too cold to sleep outside, so you picked up Dee and Mads and placed them on the drivers seat. Dan laid down on the backseat, and you laid on his chest. Then you pulled a blanket over you and fell asleep.

Dan was smiling at you when you woke up. "Hi Maddy," he said. You smiled, and yawned. You crawled off his chest and hopped into the passenger seat. Dan got up and jumped in the drivers side. The dogs hopped into the back as Dan began to drive.

There was a dark blue car behind you. It had been following the two of you for a few hours. "Hey Dan, that cars following us," you said. He looked in the rearview mirror. "Lets stop at the next restaurant and get some food, they'll probably go away," he reassured. You nodded, and gave the puppies a scoop of dog food.

Dan pulled into a McDonalds parking lot. The blue car did the same. A man wearing sunglasses was driving. He looked oddly familiar. He exited the car and walked into the restaurant. Dan patted Dee and Mads on the head, "We'll be back soon," he said to them.

As you walked into McDonalds, the man with the sunglasses smiled at you, sending shivers down your spine. Dan squeezed your hand, "Are you alright?" he asked. You nodded, "I have to go to the bathroom."

You were sitting in a stall, thinking. You tried to recall how you knew the man, when someone entered the bathroom. You heard the door lock. You got up, and unlocked the stall door. The man with the sunglasses was standing there. "Hi Madeline," he smirked. It was Ty. You reached up and smacked him. He punched your left cheek in return. You began to cry, and he handed you an envelope before leaving.

You stood in front of the mirror and wiped your tears before leaving the bathroom. You stuffed the large envelope in your pocket, and sat down beside Dan. He passed you a Happy Meal, and frowned. "What happened to your face?" he asked. "I'll tell you in the truck," you replied and ate some fries. "Ok," he said.