Chapter 42: Funeral

At the funeral, Dan's family welcomed you with open arms. "Mr. Smith, will you walk me down the aisle?" you asked. "Call me dad," he insisted, "an of course Madeline!" You smiled. Even though it was a funeral, Dan's family made it feel more like a celebration. A celebration of Dan's mothers life. He had always seemed like a pessimist. You wondered where he got that from, because his family was very optimistic.

Dan went up to speak about his mother, and sobbed before he had even said anything. He stared at his mother's family and friends. He whispered "Sorry," and fled from the front of the room. He ran into the bathroom. "Go see what's wrong Madeline," his dad whispered. You nodded and got up.

You knocked on the bathroom door. You could hear his soft sobbing. "It's me Dan," you said. "Come in Madeline," he muttered. You opened the door and saw him sitting on the floor. You sat down beside him. "What happened up there baby?" you asked him. He looked into your eyes, "They are all so happy. I am sad, and I don't feel accepted here. I just want to go," he cried. "They are all very worried about you," you reassured him, while rubbing his back. He gave you a hug and stood up. You wiped the tears from his eyes, and gave him a kiss. "You don't have to speak if you don't want to," you told him. "I will, its important that I do," he replied. You kissed his cheek and walked out of the bathroom with him. You sat back in your seat as he began to talk.