Chapter 44

Emma

I don't know how long I've been out here, now just walking Kessler around the fields, over and over, when in the corner of my eye I see a tall figure leaning against the fence just watching me. I can't see specifically who it is but I know. Oh I know.

The way he positions his body against the wood panel. Or the way he's tilting his head to the side as I go round the corner now heading right towards him. The closer I get I see he's in those hunter boots that i love seeing him in, his hair tucked under his hood, hands shoved in the pockets of his black jacket. He's stunning.

Jeez, I thought riding helped with my anger but one look over at him and I feel my whole body relax.

A pang of guilt shoots straight up my spine. I shouldn't have taken so long here. I should have texted him the moment I left the meeting or just headed over to his place. I could be cuddled up next to him in bed watching some show on netflix instead of out of breath and sweaty about to go on a date with the guy of my dreams in a matter of hours.

Hell I got all dolled up the first go round, he doesn't get all the works for round two.

I get right up to him and suddenly see this huge smile spread across his face causing a similar one on mine.

"Hey gorgeous" his deep voice pulling at my heart strings.

"Well hey handsome" I remark sliding off my saddle to be at the same level as him.

"Sorry Em but I was talking to your horse" he says, that smirk getting wider with his little joke as I pause in front of him, moving forward to lean against the fence from the other side. He thinks he's so funny with his jokes. Has done since I've known him. As kids he was always testing out his latest joke on me. They were never comedic genius but the fact that he got such a kick out of himself caused me to laugh each and every time.

"Always the charmer I see" tilting my head to the side as I eye him.

"Couldn't turn it off if I tried Em." He says maneuvering himself between the few planks on the fence to get to my side before giving me a quick kiss on the lips and pulling back, allowing his hands to stay resting lazily on my hips.

"Harry, not in front of Kessler, please" I jokingly whisper. So close to his lips I can still taste them. In this moment I really want nothing more than for him to continue but I have a sweaty horse to take care of and right now she has to come first.

"Come with me while I get Kessler all set? I know you're kinda scared of the big ones but, no worries, I'll protect you." I tease standing on my tiptoes and giving him another kiss.

"I have good reason to be cautious ok but I was gonna say I love how you talk about her like she's a human."

"Well she is my best friend so..." twirling a strand of his curly hair through my glove covered hand, still inches away from his lips.

"That hurts me right here love" he jokingly says pressing his hand over his heart like he's hurt.

"Oh come on" I say starting to walk Kessler toward the barn as Harry softly takes my hand in his.

My hand in his, it's a lovely feeling. It feels strong and protective and I adore him. Plus he's willing to put himself in the middle of a stable, which I know he is petrified of just to spend time with me.

"So anything interesting happen at the meeting?" He asks leaning on the stable door as I finish up brushing Kessler's back and making sure she's all set with water for the rest of the day before the stable hands come to take over their shit.