Chapter 87

Harry

"Wake up, wake up, wake up!!"

The high pitch squeals of Em's little brother and sister awaken me as they jostle the bed and jump on top of their big sister.

"Emmy... Father Christmas has come! Get up!" Their excitement filling the room like firecrackers going off and bouncing off every surface.

I can't help it but waking up in such a way causes me to picture future Christmas mornings just like this one. Although in my mind, Em and I would be exhausted having stayed up half the night laying out the presents under the tree, gently spreading cookie crumbs and soot by the fireplace and hoof prints and bits of carrots in the snow, all evidence of the magic of Father Christmas and his reindeer coming in the night. And the two excited kiddies pouncing on top of us would be ours, a perfect and beautiful mix of Emma and I.

It's been a wonderful trip thus far.

I knew showing up unannounced might have been pushing my luck a bit but I was pleasantly surprised to find that instead of stressing out my beautiful girl took the situation in stride and welcomed me without question.

This isn't to say I didn't notice the flash of surprise and momentary horror when I walked through the front door. She stood there in the front hall eyes wide as she watched her mother hug me tightly, but I only had eyes for the gorgeous and surprised girl in the tight leggings and one of my sweatshirts. The fabric swallowed her whole, the bottom of the fabric hitting her mid thigh and the sleeves rolled up her arms a number of times for her petite hands to pop out the end.

She was the image of beauty.

I hadn't planned on showing up. Well I did have the thought that I might but it wasn't until I got home that I knew for certain that I needed to be with her.

During my mum's annual Christmas party I was sat there with my entire crazy family surrounding me, more love in the room then you could comprehend, but all I wanted was Em. So I changed my flight, gave my mum a quick kiss on the cheek, and got myself to Ireland.

Best choice I've ever made.

This week with Em and her family has been amazing.

Her mum is as sweet as can be, Steve's the protective father figure (yes he's bloody intimidating but I'm glad Emma has that), and Sarah and Lucas... well those two are bundle of lovely energy that I just adore. And the cherry on top is seeing Em so relaxed and plainly happy with all of them.

Might sound soft but this fact warms my heart to no end.

Fuck I love her.

I know we decided to have some time apart. Not in the 'we're on a break' sort of way, just a little breather for the holidays, but in the end we needed this week together. We're getting even closer, not just to each other but in terms of moving forward.

She's opening up like never before with just about everything.

Emma hasn't told me this big secret she's been holding inside but I can see it in the little things. Whether it's kissing my cheek at dinner or cuddling up under a blanket has the whole family tucks in to watch a movie, it's all right there.

I know showing this side of herself to her entire family is a huge step for her and I've never been more proud. Her progress is incredible and I know it will only bring us closer.

This isn't to say I haven't been changing my ways right along with her.

I'm not the irrational prick constantly egging her on to admit everything to me. In fact I'm trying to be open with whatever and however she wants to tell me things.