Chapter 46

Emma

"Just give me one hint" I beg for what seems like the hundredth time. It hasn't been long since we climbed into his car and left the stables but I seriously would've thought he'd have given into me by now. With anything else I'm sure he would have normally done so by now but apparently not today, it's beyond infuriating.

"Nope." He responds shaking his head slightly with that knowing yet boyish smile plastered across his face.

"Come on just one little clue, pleeease?" Holding out the 'eeeee' a little too long for my own liking.

"Em I'm not gonna tell you, you're just gonna have to wait and see. It's all a part of the Styles Treatment love" and there's that smile. That dimple piercing smile that tells me he's up to something. He's already done so much for me, too much really. And to top it off I don't think he even knows the positive effect he has on me no matter how hard it is for me to accept it. I know it shouldn't be hard. Seems silly right? But anybody giving me help is just difficult, even from Harry.

I know it's ludicrous but It's been difficult for me to allow myself to be dependent on anyone, even in the simplest of situations. For as long as I can remember I've tried to be self reliant. Even at a young age. When it was just me and mum after the whole thing with my father I promised myself that I wouldn't. This kind of thing, allowing people and their help in is difficult. But what can I say? You have a dad like mine and you grow up finding it much easier to just do things yourself rather than wait for someone else to do it for you. That and the overwhelming guilt that comes with other people's help. I just couldn't put more pressure on my mother after the hospital and physical therapy and shit. It was all too much for her and I was strong enough to deal with it myself. And the rest is history. 

"I hope you didn't go to too much trouble Styles, seriously" trying to sound casual but feeling that little hint of dread growing a tad bit bigger every second we keep driving down the road. He better not have done something too over the top or anything, he knows me better than that, I'm sure of it...

"Sorry but what else was I supposed to do? Plan something shitty?" He responds giving me some side eye before turning his attention back on the road.

"Not what I meant Haz." I just want you to show that you know me. At least what I let you know.

"Well we'll see won't we?" He retorts. I try to think of something silly in response, hoping to lighten the sudden twist in mood a bit but I've got nothing and he doesn't either so there's just silence. A heavy, thick silence filling up the entire car. It's too much, the boiling pot that is my insides starts to simmer with more fury than before and I just cannot take it. Thankfully this weird feeling is just me cause Harry has this soft lazy smile written across his lips, it's instantly calming.

"Oh come on Harry! Just one little hint" I ask leaning over the console toward him trying to flutter my eyelashes knowing it looks ridiculous. I'm not that kinda girl. I don't flutter my lashes and expect a guy like Harry to bend to my will, what was I thinking?

"Em, I'm not gonna tell you a damn thing so just relax ok" stretching out his hand giving my thigh a gentle and reassuring squeeze, sending a shock wave straight to my core. "It's gonna be fun, I promise, just like when we were kids."

Jackpot. Maybe some lash flutter did work?

"Oh so it's something from our childhood then." I answer triumphantly, not sure if he wanted to reveal that or not but feeling a little less tense having the info.

Straightening back into my seat, still looking over at him and his perfect jawline, now clenched a little, I know I'm right, it's written all over his face. That dimple popping in his cheek, his eyebrows pulling together to cause those little wrinkles on his forehead, the slight twist of his knuckles over the steering wheel, it's all there.