01 Hospital Discharge (Present)

The blond girl with the violet eyes was quite excited. Finally, after almost three months of rehabilitation, she would be released from the hospital. She had been longing so much for this day in the past few weeks, but now that her discharge was so close, she was overcome by an almost numbing excitement.

Takashi, the tall-grown carer with short, black hair, had warned her about this. He had become a very close friend in the past few months and she would miss him very much when they wouldn't see each other almost every day. Fortunately, they had exchanged their mobile numbers, so they could write to each other.

Yui Masuda, dressed in brown shorts and a light green T-shirt, looked at the packed bag, which stood beside her on the bed. On the top was 'The Hobbit' by Tolkien. This book had done so much for her. She loved it even more than before, which she would never have thought possible. She had even read it once more while she was here.

Her left hand wandered to her scarf, which her sister Yuna had brought her to the hospital. She pulled it from her neck, twisted it in her hands, folded and rolled it, then re-tied it. With her fingertips she stroked nervously through her long, blond hair.

She pulled her cell phone out of her pocket and checked the time. Just a few more minutes. The girl put the device back in her pocket and put her right hand on her chest. Her heart thumped quickly.

The blonde looked around her room again. For more than three months, this room had been her home, but now she moved to her sister into the pension. She was anxious to see how she would get along living with Ayumi and Wataru.

For a moment, the faces of the people she loved appeared in her mind. Father and mother. Her little sisters, Mai and Ayu. But her family no longer existed. Even her friend and 'uncle' Yoshiro had left this world. Her heart grew heavy from these thoughts. She had missed so many things. So much had happened, so much she had lost, but luckily she still had her beloved sister Yuna.

Yui concentrated on the happy thoughts, as she had learned in therapy. She was teached how to live with the pain, and Midori Omura, her future legal guardian, had assured her that it would go away in time. Eventually, it would take a few years, but it would get better.

There was a knock at her room door.

"Yes." She straightened up and looked at the door.

It tapped again, but this time in a code. The blonde giggled cheerfully and tapped her answer on the bedside table next to her former bed. The door was opened and Takashi pushed a wheelchair in front of himself into the room.

"Are you ready, Frodo?" the tall man asked, grinning.

"I'm, Bilbo. Frodo is too childish for me."

"But then I can't be Bilbo."

"You're ... Gimli, anyway."

Disgusted, he twisted the corners of his mouth. "Oh, come on. I'm not that ugly."

"Would you rather be Gollum?"

"Okay, okay. I'm Gimli. Then swing your Hobbit-ass into the wheelchair so we can go to Mordor. Why ever Bilbo wants to go there." The black-haired man laughed.

"I can tell the story the way I want. This is called fan fiction, you muffling stub."

"You're the stub here. Dwarves are bigger than Hobbits."

"Then I'm a giant Hobbit."

"That's called human."

"Ew, humans."