59 A Dinner with Family Shimada 4 (Present)

"Let me in, Kiri. Let's talk," Wataru said as he knocked on her door.

"Go away!"

"Kiri-chan... come on." He waited a few seconds, then pushed down the latch and openened the door a crack. Kiriko sat on the floor in front of her bed and studied a few music sheets. "Come back to the table. Maybe we can convince Dad to let you stay with us."

"He would never do that." She looked up. "You know that."

"Mum wants to stay here too. If we can get him to search for a different job, then everything will be fine."

"I really missed you, Onii-san. Ever since you left, you have avoided us. All of us."

The singer sighed and entered her room. "I know. I'm very sorry." He settled next to her. "I was just so busy."

"Does your girlfriend keep you away from us?"

Laughing, he replied, "Totally not at all. We're only an item since the end of May. I work a lot, and we rehearse often. I'm writing songs and train my voice. I have so much stuff to do."

"I miss how we used to sing together."

"Hm."

Wataru let his eyes wander around her room. He spotted a picture of Kiriko and Sakura together. They posed and laughed both. He remembered how close his ex-girlfriend and sister had been. Looking at the keyboard, it occurred to him that Sakura had sparked a desire in Kiriko to become a musician. Just like him.

"I would've never thought that you had another girlfriend," confessed the girl. "I had thought that Sakura was the one for you."

"Really? You wanted me to be alone for the rest of my life? How mean."

Giggling, Kiriko gave him a pat. "You know what I mean." She sighed. "It's strange to see someone else beside you."

"Yuna-chan is really great. If you get to know her better, you might see for yourself. And she has a sister that is about your age."

"Really? What's her name?"

"Yui Masuda."

The brown-haired girl nodded. "I know her. She's in a parallel class. She was away for a couple of months."

"Yeah. She was hospitalized."

They sat in silence for a while staring holes in the air. "Nii-san?"

"Yeah?"

"Will you promise me one thing?"

Wataru nodded. "Sure."

"If we're going to move away. Would you please spend some time with me before I have to leave?"

"Of course." He took her hand. "But I will do everything I can to keep you here at my side."

"Liar. You've got a new girlfriend now. There is no space for me left."

He briefly squeezed her hand. "You will always be my favorite girl."

Kiriko and Wataru then re-entered the living room. The young man sat down beside his girlfriend, while the brown-haired girl stopped beside her other brother and bit her lower lip.

"I'm deeply sorry, and I apologize for my behavior, Father," she explained.

"Okay. Thanks, Kiri. You're a good girl."