68 Uncertain Future (Present)

"What?!" she breathed.

"Please sit down." Nodding, Yuna sank into a chair at his table. She couldn't stop staring at him.

"I'm going to die?"

"My gift is very volatile. Sometimes I dream of the future. Unfortunately, my predictions are not very reliable." Embarrassed, he stroked his head. "Nevertheless, I wanted to warn you, Masuda-sama."

Understanding, the girl nodded. "What did you see, Honda-san?"

"I saw you disappear lifeless in the dark."

The blue-haired girl moved around in her chair. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Your hair and clothes were wobbling. I believe that you will drown. It was very dark, maybe it's nighttime." He grinned crookedly. "Please forgive me that I can not make a better prediction."

The girl swallowed hard. "Do you know when it happens?"

"No, but you wore a blue and white school uniform in my vision. Probably the same one you usually wear when you come here."

Yuna stroked her forehead, whereupon small beads of sweat had formed. "Then it will be within the next two and a half years."

"Oh no. My visions are usually only a few weeks ahead. There are oni who can predict for decades, but my gift is very weak. I'm not a very strong oni," Ryota explained.

"So I'm going to die within the next few weeks?" Worried, the girl stared at the tabletop.

"Not necessarily. It could be that this prediction does not apply. Unfortunately, I find it very difficult to distinguish between dreams and visions."

"Hey, girl!"

"I'LL BE RIGHT THERE!" the blue-haired girl hissed furiously and slammed her hands on the table, which creaked under the force. Instantly, she blushed and stared at her hands. She looked at the oni again. "What is the probability that your vision is correct, Honda-san?"

He shrugged uneasily. "I would say about fifty percent. Maybe a little less."

Yuna took a deep breath. "There's a fifty percent chance, that I will die within the next few weeks..."

"I am very sorry, Masuda-sama. I was not sure if I should bother you with that, but I interpret our meeting today as a sign of fate. Maybe you can avert your death."

"And how? I don't even know where I could drown." She pondered hard. There was the pool in the school. Scattered lakes in the parks of the city. Further away the ocean. Damn, she could even drown in a bathtub, if she had very bad luck.

Yukiko came outside and took care of the young men, who complained to her about the other waitress. She apologized profusely and took the orders. She glanced at the blue-haired's back, then looked at the oni at the table. Suspicious, she frowned. Why was this girl sitting at the same table with the only oni present? And apparently they talked to each other, when the girl didn't take care of the guests.

She turned and walked back into the shop, looking at Me. He had said the girls were friends with him. Did they also belong to the oni? They both seemed to be human, how could that fit together? Or was there perhaps another connection?

"Hey, Me-kun. What can you tell me about the blue-haired?" she asked, after she had given him the new orders.

"Yuna-chan?"

"No idea what her name is."

"This is Yuna Masuda, if you mean the girl." He rummaged for some beer bottles from the fridge. "Shit, they're not cold yet," he cursed as he put them on the counter.