88 Become my Child (Side Story)

It was a full moon night. A young, blue-haired woman ran down an alley. Unsteadily, her eyes twitched, looking for anything that could help her. Each time her bare feet touched the ground, ice crystals sprouted. From behind, she heard the crunching as heavy boots crushed her trail beneath them. She cast a panicked look over her unclothed shoulder to see her pursuers. Three grim faces stared at her.

Her confused eyes slid to her hands, which were covered with icy blood. She didn't want to kill the man, but when he hit her, she instinctively reacted. She pulled her hands protectively up and the next moment he was impaled by icy thorns. Red splashes spread across her face and upper body. It wasn't her fault. She didn't understand in the least what was going on. Who these people were that hunted her now. But she feared she would die, if she didn't escape.

Seeking help, she scurried on until she noticed a wooden door ajar. Maybe she could hide there. Quickly she slipped inside, her shoulder grazing the gate and covering it with a layer of ice. She felt soft strains of grass, freezing under her soles, while wandering into a dark garden. Her chest rose and fell in rapid succession. Abruptly she stopped when she made out a person in front of her.

"Did you find out what's going on, Shi?" Two red-glowing eyes focused on the fugitive. "Oh."

"Oh my God." The blue-haired's eyes widened in horror.

She flinched as she studied the creature in front of her. The upper body belonged to a woman, but instead of a face she wore a mask from which two red dots glowed. She held her arms in front of her, but where her hands should have been, there were large, insect-like sickles. The blue-haired woman gazed down at the body, which led to a beetle-like lower abdomen that stood on four chitin legs.

The ice oni whirled around, but her pursuers were just coming through the gate. In the moonlight, they saw a woman, who looked at them in surprise. One of the men raised his hand.

"Ma'am. Please bring yourself to safety. This is a police matter." He pointed to the naked woman who was between them. "This person is extremely dangerous and we have to arrest her. Please bring yourself to safety."

The fugitive looked back and forth between the men and the monster. To whom did he speak? To this thing? This creature was clearly the monster here.

"Don't worry," the creature spoke softly, firmly. The red dots in her mask remained on the frightened blue-haired. She raised her voice, "What did she do? She looks distraught and helpless."

"What are you doing out here at this time anyway?" the spokesman of the group asked.

"It's a beautiful night. I enjoy the sight of the full moon."

The men dispersed around the fugitive. "Please get to safety, Ma'am. Cooperate with us."

"I'm safe. My husband is here and protects me from intruders," said the woman, who didn't move.

The men drew guns equipped with silencers and pointed them at the naked woman. "On the ground!"

Trembling, the blue-haired followed the request. She dropped to her knees and stared at the red spots on the creature's face, breathing heavily. "Please..." she pleaded softly.

"Shi! I need you!" the monster shouted, and the men pointed their weapons at her.

"What did you say?!" roared the closest.

"My husband will be right here."

The next moment the farthest man collapsed and hit his head on the floor. The other two spun around looking for an attacker. "Is she?!" one of them asked shrilly.