86 A New Family Member? (Side Story)

"YAARGH!"

Yukiko jumped in her bed. That had been Marika. Immediately she dashed out of her bed and hurried out of her room. "Marika?!" She spotted her daughter in her pajamas, holding an umbrella in her hand, aiming the tip toward something in the living room. "Is everything all right, child?"

"Who the hell is that?!" the girl shrieked, not taking her eyes off the person in the living room.

The blue-haired woman stepped next to her daughter and fixed her eyes on her guest. Confused, the oni looked back and forth between the two women in their living room. "Yukiko?" he whispered.

"It's all right, Marika. This is Tirr." The mother carefully placed her hand on the umbrella to point the tip to the floor.

"Why is he naked?!" The girl finally turned her eyes away. "Is that your boyfriend?!"

"No." Yukiko looked at Tirr. She had given him a pair of trousers to sleep in, but apparently he had ripped them to shreds. Just like her sofa and her coffee table. She inspected the window front, but was relieved to find that he hadn't ravaged over there. The oni took a step forward. "Tirr. Apparently, your power is strength. Please be very careful when handling something."

The male oni looked around in the rubble of his bed. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine. You must first learn to control your power. Don't worry, we can fix it all, or replace it."

"Give him something to wear!" Marika hissed as she stormed to the kitchen.

The two oni followed the girl with their eyes. Then they looked at each other. "That's Marika. My daughter."

Without understanding, Tirr looked at the blue-haired. "She's not an oni."

"No. She's a human. I adopted her."

He frowned. "Adopted?"

"I made her my child. Come on, I'll give you something to wear."

Tirr reached for the remnants of the table, which shattered under the pressure of his hands. Shyly, he raised his eyes again. "Sorry."

"It's all right. Take your time."

Yukiko looked briefly after her daughter, who smeared herself a toast and apparently tried to ignore the scene in the living room. Then she went to her room and picked a wide pair of training pants out of her closet. Maybe they would fit Tirr. He was nearly two heads taller than Yukiko, but the fabric was stretchy. Hopefully enough.

When she came back into the living room, he was at least upright and seemed to have destroyed nothing more. She smirked as she looked at the inexperienced oni, as he rubbed his hands in front of his stomach and looked uncertainly around the room.

"Here." She handed him the pants.

"Thanks." He put one foot in and pulled, which caused a tearing sound.

"Tirr. You have to do it slowly and carefully. I don't have a dozen trousers to wear."

A bit slower and more careful, he slipped in his pants. "I'm sorry."

"He's like a giant baby," remarked Marika, leaning against the kitchen counter and watching.

Both Tirr and Yukiko looked over at her. "Yes. You're right. He must first learn how his power works," laughed the mother.

"But he's cute. And look at those muscles. Like a top athlete's."

The oni pulled the pants over his hips and looked at Yukiko. "Am I your child, too?" he asked.