57 A Dinner with Family Shimada 2 (Present)

After a short tram ride followed by a walk, they reached the home of the Shimada family. Yuna already cursed herself for choosing the strappy sandals because her feet ached.

The Shimada brothers had sporadically talked about video games and music - both topics that didn't interest the high-school student, so she sat or walked in silence.

Takeru took the lead and opened the front door. "I'm home," he called as he entered.

"Welcome home."

The older twin looked over his shoulder and grinned at his female companion. "We're a bit weird. As a warning." The blue-haired girl shrugged helplessly and looked at her boyfriend, who rolled his eyes snorting. All three got rid of their shoes, which pleased Yuna, as she hated to wear high heels.

"I'm in the kitchen," a woman yelled from a room to their left.

Takeru disappeared and replied, "Hey, Mum. They're both here."

"He really came?"

The apprentice laughed. "Yeah. And his girlfriend joined us too."

"Really? That's lovely. I want to see her." Yuna squinted at her roommate, and then a middle-aged woman stepped out of the room Takeru had entered. "Oh." With a friendly smile, the woman approached, surveying the girl from top to bottom. Immediately, Yuna noticed that the mother had the same eye color as her sons. "My dear... you are lovely." She turned to her son. "Well done, son. But you really should shave and cut your hair. You look like a bum."

"Mum...," Wataru said, but still had to smile. He approached his mother and hugged her. "How are you?"

Takeru came out of the kitchen, chewing on something in his mouth and leaned against the door frame. The mother said, "Much better, now that my little boy is here."

"Nice to meet you, Shimada-san," Yuna said, after sucking the words out of her gray cells. "My name is Yuna Masuda."

"And she speaks English too. I'm glad. I'm Satoko Shimada. Nice to meet you, Yuna-chan." The mother bowed to the blue-haired girl, who did the same. "That's a beautiful dress, you're wearing."

With a clumsy smile on her lips, the high-school student nodded.

"Your father isn't here yet, but I'm sure he'll be glad to see you, Wata." Satoko stroked her black hair. "Well, I'm heading back to the kitchen to prepare dinner. Boys, please offer the lady something to drink and show her around. Kiriko is in her room."

"Yes, Mum." The black-haired nodded once more to Yuna, then disappeared back into the kitchen.

"Why are you speaking English?" the blue-haired girl wondered.

"Told you we're weird." The older twin turned away. "Show her around, Wata."

The singer raised an eyebrow. "I don't live here anymore. I'm only a guest."

"Don't play the fool. Everything's the same except that I finally have my own room." Takeru climbed a flight of stairs and left the other two alone in the hallway.

Undecided, Wataru glanced at the furniture. He then squinted at his girlfriend. "Is there something you want to see?"

"We can check on your sister," the girl suggested.

"Okay. Let's go upstairs."

He led her to the stairs, and they climbed up. In the stairwell, which was twice bent at ninety degrees, some framed pictures hung on the walls. The high-school student took her time to look at the pictures.