25 Reunion (Present)

"Come on, man." The fox in the kimono balanced on his hind legs and pulled with his left front paw at the cooking apron of Me.

The Oni, whose whole body was covered with innumerable eyes, looked down at his sub-tenant and snorted. He owned a building where he ran his sushi bar / restaurant / cafe. He also rented part of the building to the Kitsune Hengeyōkai, who was standing next to him. Only Kitsune hadn't paid his rent since Yoshiro's death, because he supposedly had no money. He knew the late sheriff had supported the Hengeyōkai, but these times were over.

"Listen, Kitsune-san. If you can't pay the rent, I have to throw you out. I'm dependent on the rental income." His numerous red-glowing eyes stared at the little creature beside him.

"I know, but I have little clientele, and Yoshiro isn't sending anymore money since he's dead. What am I supposed to do?" The fox looked at the Oni with big dog eyes – well, fox eyes.

"Don't look at me like that. You just have to start working properly, like the rest of us."

"How?! Am I supposed to take dogs for walks?"

Me shook his head with a smile. "You're a pharmacist. Open your shop for people and sell them your goods."

"I don't like people."

Slightly annoyed, the Oni caught his tenant at the collar and picked him up. "Then learn to like them."

The fox stretched out his tongue, panting. "Who is buying medicine from a speaking fox? If that is known, I'm done."

"You're a Hengeyōkai. Shapeshift."

"That is exhausting, man. I'm not blessed with a natural camouflage charm like you sublime Oni."

"You're such a miserable..." There was a loud knock at the front door. Both of them looked over at once, before Me put the fox on the ground.

"You closed the shop, didn't you?" the Hengeyōkai breathed, snugging close to the counter as he peered around the corner at the door with his snout.

"Yes. It's already after one o'clock. They'll be going."

"Man ... not good." Kitsune crouched and made himself as small as possible.

"Don't be a coward." Again there was a loud knock at the door. Me raised his voice. "It's closed!" Again the visitor knocked, but this time more energetically and constantly.

"I'm out, man!" Kitsune hurried over the floorboards and disappeared in the corridor leading to his door.

"We're not finished yet, Kitsune-san." Me stepped in front of his counter and went to the door. He could see long, blue hair through the blurred glass of the door, flipped the lock lever, and opened the door, which scraped over the wooden floor. "I have to fix that, too," he noted. "Yuna-chan. I have closed..." He looked puzzled into the red-glowing eyes of his visitor. "Yuki?"

A little shy, the Oni looked at him. "Hello, Me ... kun."

Between the many eyes in his face, a series of pointed teeth appeared, as he took a step toward her and pressed her to himself. "It's really you!" He pressed the woman, who was a little smaller than himself, against his body, and embraced her heartily.

The woman smiled and also briefly hugged him. "Nice to see you, Me-kun."

"How long has it been?" He pulled away from her, held her by the shoulders, and watched her attentively from top to bottom. "More than thirty years, right?"

"Almost thirty-one." She smiled tormented.

"I'm sorry. Please, come in." He made space for her and gestured to her to enter.