100 First Skirmish (Present)

Yuna sat at her desk and looked at the photos, which she had taken with Hikari and Nisha on their shopping trip. The class representative looked very happy. It was definitely fun for her to do something with her friends. Her best friend looked also happy. She grinned on all the pictures and kept fiddling with the other girls.

At last, she studied her own illustration. In the photos she looked really normal, apart from the different eye colors. She wished her right eye was normal too, but Yukiko's reaction spoke clearly against that. Well... with time, it should be common knowledge. She was already famous among the oni. There was just one more reason to talk about the oni-hunting girl who had killed Tirr.

When her room door opened, she looked up and saw Yui in the doorway.

"Hello sister. I didn't expect to see you here," the blonde muttered.

"It's still my room."

The younger one chuckled. "Yeah, but you're practically always with Wataru-san."

"I want to give you some space."

With her backpack in hand, the middle-school student came over and deposited it next to the desk. "That's very nice of you." She looked briefly at the pictures, that lay on the desk in front of the high-school student. "I now know what I was looking for in the warehouse."

Yuna straightened up. "Tell me."

"Photos of our family. I want to set up a shrine for them."

"Like in the estate."

"Yes," confessed Yui, wrapping a lock around her left index finger.

"Since when are you so religious?"

"That's not what it's about. It's about doing what's right. I want them to be part of our lives."

The taller girl tilted her head. "They will always be part of our lives. They are our family."

"I just want that, okay? Can you get me the photos, or do I have to do it myself?"

"No problem. I'll look around on occasion. We can add them to the shrine in the property when we move in."

"No. That's too late. I want to have the shrine ready as soon as possible. I want to pray for them."

"You can do that anytime. You don't need a shrine for that."

Yui's nostrils trembled. "I want to do it right. I want to make sure that their souls arrive in the next realm."

Yuna thought about her conversation with her family, after Tirr had torn her from the roof of the building. "They are fine. Don't worry."

"You just don't get it," sighed the younger and turned away. "I'm not as cold as you."

The older sister pressed her lips together. "Fine." Abruptly she pushed back the chair and stood up. "I'll get your pictures. If it matters so much to you, I'll leave everything lying and take care of it right away."

Guiltily, the middle-school student groaned. "That's not what I meant."

"No. It's all right. It doesn't matter what's going on in my life, as long as it's fine for you." She grabbed her shoulder bag.

"It's getting late, sister," Yui said.

"No matter. I'm always sneaking out at night anyway. One more time makes no difference."

"Yuna... please. I'm sorry." The younger one stood in the way. "You don't need to do that."

"You will not stop me." She pushed past her sister and threw open the door. "You don't have to wait for me. Tomorrow morning you'll have your photos."