74 Family Kanade (Present)

"What is it?" Ayumi asked.

"You should hold back. We're only here to take a look."

"Hello? Swimming pool and Onsen? How can you not be convinced already?"

Annoyed, the black-haired snorted. "There are other points to consider."

"For example?"

"The way to school for the girls, for example. My way to work. Your way to work. You have to consider all points," said Midori.

"Come on, Midori-san. These are little things."

"At the moment, you seem pretty immature to me."

The redhead gritted her teeth and stared acidly at her interlocutor. "Are you telling me, that I should start to grow up?"

"No." The nurse quickly wiped her forehead. "You're still young. For now, you can do whatever you want with your life."

"For now?"

"At some point, the time comes when you have to do what you have to do. That's what you call being an adult." Midori rolled her eyes. "Maybe I'm a little... I don't know. Let's just not rush things here, okay? We look at everything and then leave. We can discuss this together during the week."

Shrugging, the hostess replied, "Fine."

Yui checked out the corridor. She tried to imagine how Yoshiro had walked along, but she just couldn't. She tried hard to not look at Tomoya all the time, but that was another problem for her. This man probably knew her 'uncle' better than anybody else in the world.

Yuna leaned against a wall, her arms crossed, staring holes in the air. She wondered how much Tomoya really knew about Yoshiro. Had he known Kira personally?

The butler cleared his throat. "Well, I was curious who Takagi-sama's heirs would be. I didn't know that he had arranged for his legacy."

"He didn't," the blonde girl replied. "He adopted us. That's how we've become his heirs."

Tomoya raised an eyebrow. "Adopted? When? As far as I know, he never wanted to do that."

"He took custody of us after our... family... died." Yui narrowed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"My condolences," the man said quickly.

"Oh yeah. We hear that all the time." Yuna pushed away from the wall. "My condolences. Of course, everyone hands them out like candy."

"I just wanted to be polite."

The blue-haired girl shook her head. "I'm not blaming you. That's the way the world is. As soon as someone hears what has happened to us, he expresses his condolences."

He tilted his head. "What would you prefer, Masuda-sama?"

"I want you to mean it. Say it because you are serious about it. Not because it's polite to do."

"Sister..."

"No." The high-school student glared at Tomoya. "I'm so tired of it."

"Please forgive me, Masuda-sama." He bowed briefly.

"Sure."

Yui had walked on and stopped in front of a small shrine. She looked over her shoulder at Tomoya. "May I?"

"Of course," he agreed.

The middle-school student knelt in front of the altar and clasped her hands. She bowed down, closed her eyes, and prayed.