94 Easy come, easy... (Side Story)

"Sounds like you're starting to integrate, Tirr-kun. That makes me happy," she began.

"Without you, that wouldn't have been possible, Yukiko-san."

Smiling, she raised her hand. "It's all right. That's what the community is all about." Marika pricked her ears up. "I have great news for you, Tirr-kun." The oni questioningly looked at her. "We were able to get you a job and an apartment. So you can live independently on your own soon."

The chopsticks of the high-school student clattered on the table top. Dissolved, mouth open, she looked back and forth between the two oni. "What?!" she breathed horrified.

Tirr grinned widely. "I'm getting my own apartment? That's great."

The ice oni briefly looked at her daughter, who had turned pale. She sighed and turned to her protege. "Well, there are a few formalities left to do, but it looks good. You can work in a warehouse where they still look for laborers."

Trembling, Marika rose from the table. "I don't feel well. Good night." Without waiting, she left the table and went to her room.

"Good night, Marika-chan," said Tirr, who was in his mind somewhere else.

With clenched lips Yukiko looked after her child. She would have to look after her afterwards. "It went faster than I expected," she admitted. "The processes within the oni community are now much faster than in my time."

"I'm glad that I'm no longer a burden to you, Yukiko-san." Heartily, Tirr reached out and continued to eat.

"Yes." Her eyes rested on her daughter's bedroom door, behind which she was probably crying herself to sleep.

Completely disbanded, Marika hid her face in her pillow and cried relentlessly. Why did the world have to be so cruel? Just when she met this very special person, he was taken from her. That was so unfair. In her crying fit, she hadn't noticed that her bedroom door opened.

Her mother sat on the edge of the bed and gently put her hand on her daughter's back. "Hey, dear." The high-school student sniffled and sobbed. "Would you like to talk about it?" Carefully, she stroked the back of the girl, who shook herself - especially her head. Yukiko sighed loudly. "Oh darling... This is exactly, what I wanted to protect you from."

The brown-haired girl raised her head. "Why are you throwing him out?"

"I don't do that. I said from the beginning, that it would only be temporary. That's why I didn't want you to become friends." Caring, she rubbed her daughter's shoulders. "I know how sensitive you are, dear."

"I'm not sensitive," Marika whined as she wiped her eyes.

"Of course not." The blue-haired stroked her child on. "Can I do anything for you, darling?"

"Don't send him away." The words were barely audible because of the crying.

"That's not negotiable." Yukiko's voice was stern and left no doubt about the statement.

"Mommy..."

The ice oni massaged the girl's shoulder. "I tried to protect you from the beginning. But it seems like this is a lesson to learn by yourself."

Two light brown, reddened eyes looked up and the brown-haired girl turned her head. "How can you be so cold?" Marika tried to calm down. "I'm your daughter!"

"Marika..."

"Why are you doing this to me?!" The high-school student clenched her fist and slapped her mother against the side. "Why?!"