09 Bedtime (Present)

"And you're sure you both will get along without me?" Midori looked at the younger sister.

"I told you, Midori-san. We'll be fine. I have everything under control," Yuna assured her with conviction.

"I'm not worried about you, Yuna-chan." The nurse's gaze fixed on the blonde.

"To be honest, I was quite self-reliant before the disaster, Midori-san." Yui underlined her statement with a smile.

"I just don't want to mess this up. I'm responsible for you."

Yuna took a step forward. "Don't worry. You should take care of yourself and your baby. We get along very well on our own. Besides, Ayumi and Wataru are here too."

The older one gave herself beaten with a sigh. "You are right. I think these are just the hormones and my mother instinct. Okay, I'll go home now."

"Get home safe, Midori-san."

"When do we see you again?" Yui asked.

"I don't know. You can call me at any time if you need something."

"You know ... even if you're our legal guardian, I feel like we should help you. With your situation."

The black-haired woman smiled broadly. "You're a real sweetheart, Yui-chan. I'll be fine."

"Well ... we're now a family, aren't we?" Yui hesitantly explained.

Yuna rolled with her eye. Yui was still not a grownup. In contrast to herself.

"I'm glad you see it like that, Yui-chan. How about we meet on my next day off?"

"That sounds good. Right, sister?"

"Yeah, yeah. We'll see."

The youngest looked at her sister with a reproving look.

"That would be great," Yuna corrected herself.

"Okay, you two. Sleep well and I wish you a good start tomorrow at school."

"Until then." Yuna walked past Midori.

"I'm sorry." Yui smiled slightly embarrassed.

"It's okay. She believes she doesn't need anyone anymore. I admit, she has done very well in the last few months. She accepted me only reluctantly as your legal guardian, because you would have been bothered by some official."

The blonde shrugged. "Still ... she could be more friendly to you."

"It's okay. She's just like that. She surely takes good care of you, Yui-chan."

"She does."

The nurse and the middle-school girl looked at each other. The young one shifted hesitantly from one foot to the other as she turned her gaze to the ground.

"Come here." Midori spread her arms out to Yui. The girl went into the embrace and clung to the woman. "If you can't sleep, call me, okay?"

"I don't want to trouble my sister. Can't you give me a sleeping pill?"

Midori shook her head gently. "No, Yui-chan. You have to learn to deal with your dreams without medication."

"I can't remember them most of the time. I just wake up panicked ..." the blonde breathed.

"That's fine. If you want, you can live with me and you just visit another school."

"I don't want to disappoint Yuna," Yui said.

"She certainly understands it."

"Maybe. Eventually, I can really sleep better when we are together again."