40 A Lesson in Conversing (Present)

Midori unlocked her apartment door, walked in, and held the door open for her companion so she could enter. Emotionless, the blonde blinked, before she put her left foot over the threshold.

"I'm home," she said monotonously, looking at her guardian, who smiled a little.

"Welcome home, Yui-chan."

The middle-school girl took off her shoes and deposited them on the shoe mat next to the entrance. Then she picked up her bag and took a few steps into the apartment before she began to check out the environment.

Directly opposite of her was a window front, through which she could see the building across the street. In almost all apartments were the lights on, which was absolutely usual for this time of the day.

She studied the furniture with her purple eyes. To her left were two doors followed by a bookshelf and dresser with a television. On the right side there was a discreet door, behind which the girl suspected the toilet. Then an open passage followed, which allowed her to recognize a refrigerator. After that, a sofa and a cushion next to the wall, and a square table in front of it completed the interior.

The nurse marched into the kitchen. "Are you thirsty? I'll prepare tea, then I'll cook dinner."

"Don't bother, Midori-san." The blue cover of a scrapbook in the bookshelf caught Yui's attention. The patient book, as her sister had called it. Driven by curiosity, she took two steps towards the bookshelf, but then reminded herself that it was rude to simply dig into Midori's stuff.

"You must be hungry, Yui-chan."

"Not really." The blonde put her bag on the floor and then rubbed herself on the right elbow. "Thank you for allowing me to stay here."

Smiling, the black-haired woman appeared in the archway. "It's my pleasure." Midori bit her lower lip as she looked at the girl in her living room. "I just don't understand why you wanted to come to me."

"I'm sick of her lies." Contempt, which the guardian hadn't thought possible, resonated in the middle-school girl's voice.

"Yui-chan ..."

Pointing to the sofa, Yui asked, "May I sit down?"

Irritated, the nurse blinked. "Of course. Go ahead."

"Thank you." The younger one picked up her bag, walked over to the sofa and sat down on it. The bag was deposited next to the sofa beside her backpack. Then she opened the backpack, pulled out a notebook and a writing case, and sat herself up.

"What are you doing?" Midori asked.

Blinking, the blonde looked over. "My homework."

"I see." Slowly the guardian nodded. "Okay." The girl devoted herself to her work.

Nervously, the black-haired disappeared in the kitchen. She had no idea what she should do now. Such a reaction she had never expected from Yui and now she was not in the least prepared for it, even though she had offered shelter in her apartment a few days ago.

She had to try to appease the younger sister, because as she had noticed, Yui's words had hit the other Masuda girl hard.

As the water boiled, the nurse made a cup of tea before returning to her living room with the cup in her hand, where the blonde diligently worked on her homework.

"Can we talk, Yui-chan?"

The middle-school student paused in writing, raised her eyes and squinted over. Then she shrugged. "If necessary."