10 The Debate (Present)

Yuna came over from the desk and sat down on the futon. She stroked her hair thoughtfully and looked at the sparkling eyes of her sister.

"Where shall I begin?" she asked.

"Our family is dead."

"Yes."

"It was a gas explosion, right?"

The blue-haired nodded hesitantly. "Yes."

"And Yoshiro is dead too."

"Unfortunately, yes."

"Why?" The younger one stared at her sister.

"Why? Because I rammed a knife into his heart and stole his soul," Yuna thought. She looked at Yui thoughtfully. "I don't know."

"He was murdered. Right?"

"Yes. That's how it was written in the papers."

The blonde frowned. "Don't you think that's strange?"

"Strange?"

"First, our family dies, and then Yoshiro too? In such a short time? That can't be a coincidence."

Yuna lowered her gaze. As always, her younger sister was way smarter than it was good for her. She had certainly researched and compiled every piece of information about the whole deaths.

"Sometimes life is cruel, Yui."

She shook her head. "I think something is being hidden from us."

"Even if? What should we do about it? We're just two school girls."

Irritated, Yui looked at the high-school girl. "Where is your imagination and curiosity?"

"I'm sorry that I had to grow up, and can't dream all day long anymore!" Her tone was harsher than she had intended, which she felt sorry for.

"I'm sorry." Yui turned her gaze to the side.

"Don't worry. It ... it's difficult. We both knew that."

The middle-school girl nodded. "Yes. Everything has changed. Even the both of us."

"You don't know how much," went through Yuna's head. Silently she combed her hair with the fingertips of her right hand.

"So ... how did that work out with the guardianship?"

"First, Yoshiro had taken it over. He had even submitted adoption papers to secure us financially," the high-school student said.

"And?"

"Did you know he was rich?"

Yui looked at her sister questioningly. "Rich? He had always been very generous."

"No. Not that. He was really rich."

"For real?!"

Smiling, the older one nodded. "Yes. His full name was Yoshiro Takagi and he was the financier of the Takagi group."

"This medicine company?"

"Yes."

The blonde whistled approvingly. "Wow. That means we are rich now?"

"Yes and no."

"So the adoption was not approved?"

"It was."

The younger one pulled her brow up. "But?"

"In collaboration with Haruka Narusegawa and Kazuki Chigusa, I'm setting up a foundation."