37 The Testament: Climax (Present)

The mayoress switched to the next page. "Here you can see how the donations were used. In consultation with Yoshiro, the city council has budgeted for the expected donations to guarantee a reasonable distribution." Midori raised her hand. "Yes, Omura-san?" Haruka struggled for a neutral tone, but her annoyance could still be heard.

"Is that normal?"

"We have some wealthy families in this city who are committed to the community. Of course, we can't expect such grants, but some make guaranteed contributions to our budget," explained the oni.

Rolling her eyes, the black-haired woman said, "Just answer my question, Narusegawa-san."

"Yoshiro had very specific ideas about what should happen with his money."

The nurse got up. "Is it common for donations to be budgeted. Yes or no?"

Taking a deep breath, Haruka answered, "No. Not so detailed anyway. Not these kind of amounts."

"Thank you." The green-eyed sat down again and wrote in her book.

Kazuki had to grin inwardly. Narusegawa-san was certainly not used to people standing up to her. A woman in her power position usually didn't have to get played by anyone, but this Midori Omura seemed to be aware of the position she'd found herself in. She knew that the city needed the money, and she knew that everything would stand or fall with her approval.

Yui cleared her throat. "Then ... is the budget for the next year already done?" All attention swayed to the middle-school student, who smiled sheepishly. Yuna blinked irritably and looked back and forth between her sister and Haruka.

The mayor smiled. "You really are like your uncle described you." The blonde grinned and nodded gratefully. "As a matter of fact. The budget for the next three years is already planned."

"Budgets can be corrected. And sometimes they can't be reached", Midori interjected.

Gritting her teeth, the oni stared at the woman opposite of her. "Tell me, what profession are you following, Omura-san?"

"I am a nurse."

Eye rolling, Haruka growled, "That fits."

"Excuse me?" The black-haired rose in her chair.

"I'm sure you've completed a business education and are of course qualified to make such comments, Omura-san."

Kazuki jumped up. "Please ... let's stay polite, yes?"

"Are you suggesting I'm stupid?" Midori's green eyes flashed aggressively.

"I don't know. Can you understand what I'm saying? Or should I make a drawing for you?"

"Ladies ..." Chigusa-san indicated to his assistant that she should stop typing. Yui followed the argument with wide eyes while Yuna next to her grinned.

"You are only keen on Yoshiro's money!" the oni was accused by the nurse.

The mayor twitched. "Oh yes?! And you?!"

"Me? The money belongs to the girls!"

"But you're probably going to manage it until they are of age, or am I wrong?"

Midori gasped. She hadn't thought of that yet. As a guardian she was responsible for all matters concerning the girls. It was a miracle that Yuna could do anything in the last few months. What had the girl lived from? She looked at her neighbor, who grinned in amusement.