80 Hikari's Confession (Present)

The next day, Wataru cycled on his bike to the pension. He was able to negotiate with his boss that he could quit earlier to prepare for the rehearsal. Luckily, his boss liked the music he played with his band. He once even mentioned that he would then say that he had supported Wataru before he became a real rock star, when the time came.

It was nice to have people who believed in you.

He stopped just in front of the door, dismounted and pushed his bike further, as he noticed a black-haired girl playing on a cell phone outside the door.

"Hikari-chan? What are you doing here?" he wondered.

She raised her eyes and grinned. "Wataru-san." She rose from the step she had been sitting on. "I wanted to see Yuna-chan."

"I think she's up to something today. An appointment for finances or something." He put down his bicycle and rummaged for his key.

"Oh... that sucks."

"Why didn't you text her?" he asked as he inserted the key into the lock.

"I wanted to surprise her. I got a DVD today and wanted to watch it with her." She lifted up a plastic bag, that she held in her left hand.

"What kind of movie is it?" He opened the door, picked up his bike and carried it inside.

"The third Madoka movie: Rebellion."

"That's cool," admitted the musician without turning around.

Amazed, the high-school student opened her eyes. "You know Madoka?"

"Sure. I even saw Rebellion in the cinema."

"Just when I thought you couldn't get any cooler, you say that." Abruptly, Hikari slapped her right hand over her mouth, and stared at him with dilated eyes as her cheeks blushed.

Wataru, who had undressed his shoes, pretended he hadn't heard her comment and got up to stow his bike. When he returned, the black-haired girl was still standing in the door, looking at him silently. "I think she'll be home late. You can try another time."

"Sure," the girl replied, nodding.

"Um... yeah. See you then." He started to climb the stairs when she cleared her throat.

"Can I maybe have something to drink? I almost die of thirst."

"Sure." He stepped back from the stairs and pointed to the kitchen. "Come along."

"Gladly."

She came in, closed the door, and took off her shoes. As her eyes fell on her neon-pink socks, she inwardly gave herself a slap in the face.

How damn immature are you?!

She looked up, when she realized that the young man had already gone ahead. She deposited her plastic bag and followed him into the kitchen, where he took two glasses from one of the wall cabinets.

"I hope lemonade is okay for you. I have nothing else and Yuna never buys anything."

"Whatever you have." She stopped by the kitchen door and watched him go to the fridge.

"Unfortunately, it's the disgusting one from Seven Eleven," joked Wataru as he took the bottle out of the fridge.

"It's all right. If that's finished, you can get the one from Lawson's." The singer chuckled as he filled the glasses.