79 Power Demonstration (Present)

"I have so many questions." Midori looked down at her bowl.

"I'll answer everything you want," the undertaker assured her.

"I've heard that your kind can not have children. Is that true?"

Sizzling, several more noodles disappeared in Shinji's mouth. "That is correct. Because of our magical nature, we can not have children. Why?" He was curious to see if she would reveal herself.

"Pure curiosity." She poked around in her noodles without a pause. "So... Yuna-chan is really done with all this?"

"That's what she has expressed to us anyway, yes. Why do you mean?"

"Supposedly she sometimes sneaks out at night. Nobody knows what she's doing then. Her sister caught her and they argued about it. But suddenly it seems to be better."

"Hm." He ate some more noodles. "Maybe she's training."

"Training?" The nurse studied him.

"Yoshiro taught her how to fight. For self-defense. Maybe she sometimes practices when she can't sleep."

From his observation team, Shinji knew that Yuna had left the pension a few times at night and gone hunting. So far, they couldn't figure out why, because the high-school student said very clearly that she had no further interest in the oni hunt. Accordingly, he had to concede to his leader that it was right to keep the Masuda girl under surveillance.

"I understand. I hope nothing happens to her." A few noodles the black-haired ate, then she lay down her chopsticks. "Do you think I should do something?"

"In what way?"

"Because of these nocturnal excursions. I'm worried."

The undertaker raised his bowl to his mouth and drank it empty. He then put the bowl back. "I understand that, but I assure you that this girl is washed with all waters. You don't have to worry."

"I hear admiration from your voice," Midori remarked.

"As a matter of fact. Masuda-san is an impressive person. The way she manages all of this. I don't know if I could do that."

Slowly, the pregnant woman nodded. "But she is still so young. She shouldn't have to bear that burden."

"She sees it as her responsibility, as she is now the head of the family. And her top priority is the protection of her sister. Under all circumstances."

"Yes." Thoughtfully, she looked down at her noodles.

"Are you going to finish that, Omura-san?"

"Oh no. Please." She pushed her bowl over, which the oni gratefully accepted and continued to eat.

"Thank you very much."

In the next few minutes the undertaker's wooden sticks rattled as he devoured the rest of Midori's meal.

She sipped sporadically at her water, staring thoughtfully at the tabletop. Tirr had murdered Yuna's family. And Yoshiro. What kind of monster had he been?

Luckily he was no longer a threat. Also, that Yuna distanced herself from the oni, calmed the guardian a little. Her thoughts drifted to her child, whereupon she placed her left hand on her stomach. What kind of being grew up in her when oni couldn't father children? Was it a gift from God?

She squinted to her neighbor, who was relishing the bowl. Mostly, she trusted him, but she didn't want to confide this secret to him.