92 A Dangerous Discovery (Side Story)

"I don't feel good about this, Tirr-san," Marika lamented as she followed him through the thickets of the forest. They had been on the road for about fifteen minutes, leaving the sidewalks and wandering through nature.

"Shh. I need to concentrate." The oni sucked in the air through his nostrils and repeatedly pricked up his ears to track down his prey. They came closer, he could almost feel it.

"Please, let's go home. I'm scared." The girl looked around restlessly as the first cicadas performed their booming vocals. The summer was approaching inexorably.

"You wanted to come. You can turn around and go if you want, but I'll finish this." Pure ambition resonated in his voice. He had set a goal and that was what had to be fulfilled.

"I'll never find my way back," confessed the brown-haired.

"Shut up!" His order came to her in hissed form. There was a lump in her throat. Her mother was right. She should have stayed away from him. At the moment he was anything but friendly to her. "It has to be somewhere in front of us. Wait here."

"Don't leave me alone, Tirr-san." Pleadingly, she looked at his back, but he paid no attention to her. Instead, he disappeared through a shrubbery. "Tirr-san!" she breathed angrily and quickly caught up. Marika stumbled through the bushes, scratching her lower legs, and almost ran into the oni, who had stopped. She approached from behind, tentatively peering past him. Before them stretched a large pond surrounded by tall reeds. Uncertain, she peered up at Tirr, who was tense watching the water.

His head jerked to one side and he looked at her wide-eyed. "I said, stay behind!"

"Don't leave me alone in the woods!" she retorted irritably, softly adding, "Dummy."

He snorted. "I'm checking this out. Stay here. Don't move from the spot."

"Please don't leave me alone." The girl sniffled as she pressed her lips together and tried not to cry.

"I'm just walking around the lake. You can see me all the time. Wait here." Immediately, he set off without paying attention to the accusing look of the high-school student.

With her light brown eyes she searched the water surface. Occasionally, water lilies were swimming on the surface, which she wanted to take a closer look at. Carefully, she moved closer to the pond to see the plants better. She glanced over at Tirr, who was walking along the edge with his nose up. She looked at the scattered golden-yellow flowers that perched on the floating leaves.

Somewhere behind her was a rustling in a tree, and she started frightened. Seeking, she examined the tree until she spotted a bird plucking a few leaves with its beak.

"You have scared me." Relieved, she exhaled.

"DOWN!"

She whirled around, just noticing Tirr appearing in front of her with spread arms to stop something. A loud clapping sounded. Suddenly it was getting dark, when two rows of teeth appeared, which the male oni stopped with his palms. He was pushed back against the girl, who stumbled and fell to the ground. Wide-eyed, she recognized huge jaws that were held by Tirr. Behind them followed a massive skull on a long neck that disappeared in the water.

"RUN, MARIKA!" roared Tirr, his veins pushing out from his effort as he wrestled with the beast. Blood dripped from the hands of the oni to the floor. In panic, the girl slid over the ground away from him. Her pretty skirt was completely messed up and it remained hanging on a branch, before the material gave way tearing. Hastily she struggled for breath - for composure - but she couldn't help but stare at the monstrosity. "GET AWAY!"