Strangers

I sat next to the hospital bed. Jesse lay there, her ebony black hair sprawled on the pillow. It was my fault. My fault the girl I loved was laying there, on the hospital bed. I sigh as I remember what happened.

~Flashback~

"Let's try down there!" Jesse called, pointing down to a separate cave. It was dark, and we were running low on torches. "You sure? We're almost out of torches." I pointed out. "It'll be fine. We can break and replace torches." Jesse replied. "Fine." I said. We walked into the cave, making sure it was pitch black before placing a torch. After a few minutes, I thought I heard mobs. "Did you hear that?" I asked. Jesse and I stood still, silent, listening for the sounds. Behind us came zombies, and they barricaded our way. "It must be a dungeon! We have to run!" I exclaimed. Jesse and I started running away from the zombies, further into the cave. We were too busy running to worry about placing torches. Up ahead, I just barely saw the ground break away into a cliff. "Wait!" I exclaimed, blocking Jesse's way as I stopped. She and I looked over the edge an saw it went pretty far down, with small ledges that were too small to stand on, but would most likely cause more pain. We placed the remainder of our torches around us and got ready for our last stand.

The zombies started coming and Jesse and I handled them. More and more came, and eventually Jesse and I had to separate to handle them all. After a bit, I started to panic because I couldn't see Jesse. I heard her calling for help, and I pushed through and slashed the zombies in my way as I started to make my way to Jesse. I pushed through the final zombies blocking me from Jesse, just in time to see her at the edge of the cliff. She didn't realize it, as she took another step back. Time slowed as she started to fall over the cliff. Her emerald green eyes were filled with fear as she looked at me. Time sped back up again and she fell over the edge. "JESSE!" I shouted, running to the edge of the cliff. I looked over and saw her disappear in the darkness. I could see a path leading down, and I could take it to get Jesse. But before that, I had to deal with these zombies. I took out the TNT Axel had lent me and threw it in the crowd of zombies, igniting it. The TNT blew up, killing all the zombies. I put my stuff away and started running down the path, down to try and find Jesse.

I reached the bottom and got out a torch I had grabbed before heading down. Light illuminated against the jagged rocks, and I felt fear fill me as I imagined Jesse hitting those rocks. I saw her limp form laying down, and I ran over to her. I picked her up in my arms and saw blood falling from a wound on her head. I grabbed a piece of cloth and tied it around Jesse's head, trying to stop the flow of blood. Her armor had dents and some scrapes, and I was thankful that she was wearing it otherwise she would be even more hurt. I picked her up carefully and ran up the path. I ran out of the cave, to the town. Petra, Axel and Olivia were outside, fixing some holes in the wall. They immediately turned to me and ran over. "What happened?!" Olivia asked. "Zombies... trapped... cliff..." was all I managed to get out after my mad dash back to the town. "Hurry, we gotta get her to the hospital!" Petra exclaimed.

~End of Flashback~

I felt horrible. The others say it wasn't my fault, it was just bad luck, but it wasn't. I was the one who said we could go into the cave. The one who got us trapped between a cliff and zombies. The one who was separated from Jesse when we should have stayed together, which caused her to fall over the edge. Jesse was constantly getting hurt because of me. It's best if I'm gone from her life, to protect her. I gently kissed her head, on the opposite side of the wound, and whispered, "I'm sorry, Jess..." I got up from my chair and walked out of her room, closing the door behind me, and ran back to the fortress. I ran into my room and grabbed my stuff I would need before leaving a note on my bedstand. Taking my stuff, I walked out of the fortress and out of the town. Turning around, I took one last look at the town before disappearing into the forest.