~Stand A Chance~

Really want to turn this into a short story tbh. Great, just another book I need to finish.

~~~

"I never stood a chance, did I?"

"That's the sad part; You did once."

~~~

Sometimes, even a hero can live long enough to see themselves become a villain.

~~~

A simple day had turned into a nightmare. Lukas was forced to watch as his world slowly crumbled around him, see the pain and fear of every living creature as they ran for their lives. The once peaceful Beacontown was in ruins, buildings destroyed and fires everywhere, lighting the town in an orange glow that was visible from Champion City. People desperately tried to escape the town, the members of the Order helping, yet Lukas was oblivious to it all. His blue eyes remained trained on the fortress ahead of him, seeing a lone figure standing in front of it.

The figure was familiar to him, with pale skin and black hair, but it wasn't the same girl he remembered. Her once green eyes now glowed a fiery amber, simply gazing at the destruction that surrounded her with a blank face. Looking at the destruction that she had caused. The Star Shield armor she had once worn faithfully had been discarded for a new set of armor, one that hadn't been a gift from Ivor. It was a simple black suit under multiple pieces of golden-colored protection plates with added pieces and accents of fiery red and orange. Her long black locks, which she once kept loose and free, were tightly tied back into a bun, the signature yellow hair clip nowhere to be found.

Lukas continued to walk forward, his eyes trained on the girl ahead of him. She sensed his approach, turning to face him with a hardened glare of her amber eyes. Other than that, she did not move or speak. Even though she did not say a word, Lukas could feel the aura of power and control coming from the young woman, yet he didn't shy away. He kept walking forward, his once slicked-back blond locks loosening and beginning to fall. The armor Ivor had given him was covered with many marks from previous battles, and a layer of soot had begun to cover it from the fires around him. The soot also settled on his skin, falling on his cheek and forehead to mix with the beads of sweat that trickled down his tanned skin.

"Jess!"

It was almost impossible to hear his voice above the chaos. However, Jesse was still able to hear it, her gaze narrowing as she watched the blond continue to approach. "Jess, what are you doing? You're a hero, not a villain!" he exclaimed, blue eyes carefully watching her for any message in her words or body language. Nothing. She didn't move, not a single inch. Her amber gaze grew darker as she watched the blond. "Why are you doing this?!" he questioned. Jesse remained still, but her lips parted to take in a short breath before speaking. "You wouldn't understand, Lukas." His eyebrows furrowed together in confusion and worry.

"How can I if you won't tell me?"

"Enough!" Jesse hissed. "Leave, now." Lukas' blue gaze hardened as he met her amber gaze. He took a step forward, firmly planting his foot on the broken stone path. "No." Jesse glared daggers at the blond as her right hand began to reach to her opposite hip. "You brought this on yourself," she warned, taking a hold of the grip on the sword in its sheath. Lukas didn't back down, he merely drew his own sword from the sheath at his hip, holding the grip tightly in his gloved hand. Jesse's gaze narrowed further as she drew her own sword, the diamond blade glowing like a blue fire. Even with everything happening, it seemed like there was nothing else but them and the tension between them, just waiting to be broken to let the inevitable battle begin.