Fireflies

(This was inspired by a short oneshot I found on DeviantArt)

Jesse smiled as she read over Lukas's draft. She was trying to point of mistakes and areas that needed to be revised. Lukas was busy working on fixing the mistakes as she found them. As time went on, the sky outside grew dark. Jesse gazed over at the window for a small break from the white pages and black letters. Her emerald eyes widened. "Oh no how did it get to be so late?" she exclaimed. Lukas looked up and looked outside before turning back to Jesse. "Jess, could you stay for a bit longer?" Lukas asked. Jesse bit her lip as she looked at Lukas. "I don't know... What if something happens at Beacontown?" she replied. Lukas gave her the puppy dog eyes. "Ugh, Lukas! Stop with the puppy dog eyes! You are an adult!" she said as she turned her gaze away from him. "That's just your excuse for saying they're too cute and you can't say no," Lukas replied, grinning. Jesse sighed. "Fine, I'll stay for thirty more minutes," she said. They got back to revision and the time flew by. When Jesse looked up at the clock again almost four hours had passed.

"Oh my gosh, how did time fly?!" she exclaimed. Lukas smiled at Jesse sadly. "I suppose you have to get going," he said. Jesse looked back at Lukas then out the window. She turned back to Lukas. "Well, I could stay the rest of the night," she said. Lukas smiled at Jesse. He knew what she was trying. "Fine," he replied. Jesse squealed and hugged her friend. "Sleepover! It's been too long since we've been able to hang out like this!" Jesse exclaimed. Lukas smiled and nodded in agreement. Jesse grabbed his hand and they walked out the door together. They sat on the porch together while Lukas's horse munched some grass and his pet Ocelot slept on the fence. After a few minutes, Jesse turned to look at Lukas and nearly burst out laughing. The young man turned to her with a confused look. "What?" he asked. Jesse smiled and reached her fingers to his cheek. Lukas felt his cheeks flush red in embarrassment. "J-J-Jess?" he stammered. Jesse slid her fingers down his cheek before pulling her hand away.

On her index finger was a small firefly.

Lukas felt strangely disappointed that was the only reason Jesse had touched his cheek. The young woman lightly laughed as the firefly refused to leave its perch on her finger. "Silly little guy," she laughed. Lukas smiled at Jesse's attempts to get the firefly to fly away. Eventually, the firefly flew away. But even more fireflies appeared. Jesse smiled and stood up before walking down to the lawn. She twirled around as the fireflies flew around her. A smile was plastered on her face as she laughed. Lukas laughed from his spot on the porch. "Alright, who are you and what have you done with Jess?" he laughed. "It's really me, Lukas," Jesse replied. "The Jesse I know would never twirl around to dance," Lukas said. "Then you just haven't met this side of me yet," Jesse replied. Lukas smiled as Jesse continued to twirl around. After a moment, he stood up and walked over to Jesse, who had her back turned to him. Lukas took her hands and twirled her around, spinning with her. They laughed together as they continued twirling.

Lukas then finished a twirl and dipped Jesse down. The young woman was smiling brightly. Her emerald eyes reflected the shine of the fireflies. She wrapped one arm around Lukas's neck while the other hung out by her head (Picture above. I am terrible at drawing stuff like that so I got a base from a scene in Winx Club). Lukas found himself captivated by her emerald eyes. He leaned closer. Jesse leaned closer as well. Finally, their lips touched. It seemed all too soon when they pulled away from it. Lukas and Jesse stared into each others' eyes. The fireflies continued to dance around them as they stood still. Lukas pulled Jesse up so she was standing upright, leaning slightly against him. Their lips were only a few centimeters apart now. "Jess...." Lukas whispered. Jesse leaned in and kissed Lukas once again.