River Scare

"Hey Jess." Lukas said as he walked up, standing under the tree I was sitting in. "Hey Lukas." I replied. "Olivia told me I'd find you here. What're you doing here?" Lukas asked. "I had some things I needed to think about." I replied. "Can I come up?" he asked. "Sure! I replied. He climbed up the tree until he reached the branch I was sitting on, before sitting next to me. We sat in silence, watching the sunset. After a few minutes of silence, Lukas broke it. "Jess, I have to tell you something." he said. I turned to look at him, and I noticed a light red blush dusted his cheeks. "I-I-I l-" he was cut off when a crack reached our ears. I looked at the source, the part of the branch connecting to the tree, and saw it was cracking. "Go!" I exclaimed. Lukas reached the safety of the tree first, before turning back to me. But I wasn't moving, I was looking at the rushing river below the branch, memories filling my head.

~Flashback~

I sat on the edge of the small cliff, looking down at the water rushing below. I leaned forward, and the ground beneath me fell away, dropping my the five feet into the rushing water below. I struggled to stay afloat, let alone hold my breath. I felt my vision start to go black, when I felt an arm wrap around me and pull me to the surface. I found myself face to face with a blonde haired boy a year older than me, about thirteen years old, with bright blue eyes, blue as the ocean. "Hey, you okay?" he asked. I nodded, shaking. "I'll take you home." he said. He started walking, me in his arms, until we reached my house. "Jesse! What happened?!" Mom exclaimed as she, Dad, and J rushed out. "I-I fell into the river. He saved me." I replied. I was set on the ground by the boy, and Mom wrapped me in her arms. "Thank you. What's your name?" Dad asked. "I'm Lukas." he replied. "Well, thanks for saving my sister. I don't think I could bear living without her." J said, rubbing my head. "J!" I exclaimed. "Come on, let's get you inside." Mom said, before she started taking me inside. I looked over my shoulder once more, and saw Lukas. "We'll see each other again, I promise." I whispered.

~End of Flashback~

"Jess, look at me." Lukas said. I tore my gaze from the water, and met Lukas's gaze. "You just have to move. It'll be okay." Lukas said. "I-I can't, I'm scared." I said, looking down at the water again. "Jess, you can do it. Just look at me. I promise, it'll be okay." Lukas said. I looked back up at Lukas, and I slowly started to move towards him. I almost reached him, when a loud crack reached my ears. Time seemed to slow as the branch broke, and I tried to grab Lukas's outstretched hand. Our hands missed by an inch, and time sped back up as I fell, down, down, until I fell into the rushing river. Lukas shouted my name. I was swirled around, and I tried to swim up. I resurfaced for only a second before I was plunged back under again, being taken downstream. I resurfaced again, and the last thing I saw was the branch swinging towards my face.

~Lukas's POV~

"JESS!" I shouted. She disappeared into the water, and I immediately dove in. I resurfaced and began searching for her, and saw her appear for a moment before being pulled under. I started swimming towards her, and it was only a few moments before she resurfaced again, except this time she was hit by the branch, and she was plunged under the water. I took a deep breath before swimming under. I forced my eyes open, and tried to look around for the girl. It only took a moment to spot her, and I swam to her. Once I reached her, I held her in my arms before swimming up. Once I resurfaced, I began swimming towards the nearest shore. It took a few moments to reach. I walked onto the shore and made sure I was about ten feet from the water before gently setting Jesse on the ground. "Jess?" I whispered. Her green eyes didn't open, but she still breathed and had a pulse.

It was a few minutes before her eyes fluttered open. "L-Lukas...?" she whispered. "Hey, I'm here. Everything's okay now." I said. "H-How long was I out?" Jess asked. "A few minutes." I replied. Jess smiled. "That's twice you've saved my life with the same scenario." she said. "It's how we met. I think it was actually a good thing, other than the you almost drowning part." I added. Jess giggled. "Lukas, what were you gonna tell me?" she asked. I started blushing red. "U-Ummm..." I stammered. Jess sat up, and her green gaze met mine. "Lukas, I have to tell you something. Ever since that day we first met, I promised myself I would see you again. I also felt something for you, but I had no clue what. I-I don't know how to say it, so I'll just show you." Jess whispered. She wrapped her arms around my neck before gently pressing her lips to mine. I could only stare in shock for a moment, before I wrapped my arms around her waist and melted into the kiss. We pulled away after a few moments. "I love you too." I whispered.