Heart

"Lukas, I need to tell you something..." Jesse began, staring at the floor. "What is it?" Lukas asked. Jesse gently took Lukas's hands in hers, not looking up. "First, I need you to promise me something. Promise me that, no matter what, you'll stay safe." Jesse said. "I don't like where this is going, but I promise." Lukas replied. Jesse sighed, before saying two words that changed their lives forever.

"Lukas... I'm sick...."

Lukas looked at Jesse in shock. "How bad?" he asked. "My heart is failing. I'm going to have to have an operation..." Jesse whispered. Lukas's eyes filled with worry, because he knew that the operation would need a heart donor to be successful in saving Jesse's life. "I'm going to have to have it on a plane. I'm leaving in a few days." Jesse said. Lukas hugged her, because he knew it would be one of the last times he saw Jesse. "I promise you, you'll be fine. You're gonna come back with a successful transplant, and you're going to live a full life." Lukas whispered.

~A few days later~

Jesse looked around the area. Her friends and family had all come to say goodbye. All except Lukas. It stung, knowing that her best friend, the guy she has a crush on no less, didn't come to say goodbye. "Jesse, it's time to leave." a doctor said, walking up to her. Jesse sighed before turning away from her family and friends, and boarding the plane. She was immediately ushered to the surgery room, with doctors all around. She changed into a surgical gown behind a screen, before she lay on the bed. The doctors gave her anesthesia, and everything faded into black.

~A few days later~

Jesse sat on her bed. She was lucky, as she got a heart donor. The surgery was a success, and it only took a day on the plane before she was back home. She stared at her phone, the caller ID showing. But it went to the computer line saying, "This number has been deactivated." Jesse put her phone down and looked out the window, at the gray, rainy sky. Since she had gotten back, she had called Lukas constantly. But the phone went straight to the computer line saying that his number was deactivated. Why was he avoiding her? The question floated in Jesse's head ever since she had boarded the plane. But she couldn't answer it. An idea came to mind.

She couldn't answer it, but his sister Lucy could! Jesse scrolled through her contact list until she came to Lucy's number. She dialed it and waited while the phone rang. After a few moments, Lucy picked up. But she wasn't herself. She sniffled, as if trying to hold back tears, and Jesse could hear the pain in her voice. "What is it Jesse?" Lucy asked. "Lucy, please, I need to know, why is Lukas avoiding me? I've been calling him since I got off the plane, but a computer voice says that his number is deactivated. Could you ask him why he's avoiding me?" Jesse asked. "You don't know?" Lucy asked, sounding surprised. "What?" Jesse asked. "He didn't tell you?" Lucy asked. "Tell me what?" Jesse asked. The next sentence Lucy said made Jesse feel like her heart had just shattered into a million tiny pieces.

"Jesse, where do you think you got the heart from?"