The BIG Boom

We arrived at the theater as they were setting the grills on the cast parking lot. There was a few fans milling about but for the most part it was just the cast and their families.

We parked and I got Sebastian out of his seat. Vanessa took him as I got into my chair. I followed them inside where the stage had tables set up for the food. I noticed that there was another girl my age milling about and I rolled over to introduce myself.

"Hey I'm Dania" I said smiling. "It's great to see someone else my age here. Usually I am the youngest."

She blushed and smiled "I'm Skye. I like your name, it's different. Oh and Chris is my uncle, my parents are out of town so I'm staying with him."

"Thanks! My parents had a friend with this name. I love it though I usually have to correct people on how to pronounce it" I admitted.

"Yeah I'd imagine that's a pain" she said smiling. "We should stick together since we're they only kids here."

"Sounds like a plan. You don't mind me being in a wheelchair?" I asked as I stared at my lap.

She shrugged "It makes no difference to me. Chris told me about the accident so I know what happened. I'm just glad your alive and here."

"Thanks" it felt so strange that someone knew what had happened. I am just glad I had found a friend at this party. We hung out and talked about all kinds of things. Come to find out we even went to the same school. I would be starting back to school in the fall as I had finished my classes up online after the accident.

Thayne brought a tray of cookies over later grinning "Hey girls! We're about to play a few games, do you want to join in? I promise it will be games you can join in on Dania. We have some really cool ideas thanks to Lin."

"Sure I guess" shrugging we both followed Thayne to the common room. They had moved all the tables and had some games set up. I saw darts, horseshoes, even croquet. I had to wonder if this was because of the fans outside. Either way I couldn't wait to try them out. I also saw a bunch of card and board games set up. It would seem they thought of everything to keep us busy.

Skye and I teamed up first for a game of darts and then we joined in a game of Monopoly. It also gave me a chance to get to know her better and vice versa. Conversation between us seemed to naturally flow and it felt nice. Lin smiled as he caught my eye across the room and nodded. I would have to ask if she could come over some in the near future.

As the day wound down everyone began to move up to the roof. As there was no elevator to go that far Lin carried me.  There were chairs and blankets set up as well as drinks and more snacks. This would be where we would watch the fireworks from. I was placed beside Vanessa and Skye came to sit on my other side. Sebastian sat in Lin's lap with those cute little earphones over his ears.

Thirty minutes later all the lights around us began to dim and the first boom was heard off in the distance. Soon fireworks began to light the sky. At first I was fine, safe with my family and new friend. Then the booms got louder and closer and I began to shake. I couldn't really put my finger on it but I was scared. My breathing began to quicken and I felt a blackout nearing. I felt strong arms pick me up.

We made our way quickly inside as the tears that had threatened to fall slipped from my eyes. Lin sat down on his couch with me rubbing my back and whispering to me that it was okay. I couldn't speak, all I could do was cry. We sat like that for a little while.

"Can you tell me what happened?" Lin asked after probably twenty minutes. He looked very worried and I really couldn't blame him.

"Bad memories from the last fireworks I saw with my parents" I whispered wiping at my eyes. "We had gone to the lake for a picnic and there was to be fireworks. As night drew near the sky got darker and darker. We didn't realize at the time but a storm had moved into the area. Just as the fireworks started so did the lightening. A bolt literally struck mere feet from where we sat. I was reliving that nightmare as the booms of this show was going off overhead. I was afraid lightening was going to get us. I know it sounds silly" I cried.

"No kiddo not at all" he said rocking me in his arms. "You had such a bad experience and it stayed with you. You are only 14, you have a right to be scared. Nothing's going to get you though, your safe with us. You can always get me or Vanessa if something like this happens again. That's what parents are for, to get you through this. Now let's go back downstairs if you want and enjoy some of that cake okay?"

"Yeah before Thayne eats it all" I chuckled as Lin picked me up again. We made it back downstairs just in time for them to cut the cake into slices. I rolled over to Skye smiling "Sorry about that. I promise I'll tell you about it another time. How about you come with Chris maybe to preview night and we can hang out. There's an empty room upstairs that we can hang out in.''

"Sure I'll ask my mom. She loves her brother and I'm sure she'll say yes. Oh and here's my phone number" she said handing me a slip of paper. I smiled and took the paper tearing it in half. I wrote my number on the other half "Now we can text and call each other. Thanks for coming today, I think I just made a new best friend."

Skye nodded "Me too." She then hugged me "You are actually one of my only friends. When we have that talk I'll tell you why okay?"

"Sounds good" I hugged her back. Soon after the party broke up and everyone left for their own homes. I smiled up at Lin "I think I made a friend for life today."

"Skye? Oh yes I've known her for many years. Her mom is a single mom so Chris helps out as much as he can. Did you invite her to come to opening night?" he asked.

"Crap I forgot" I sighed "but she's coming to at least one preview. I can invite her then and she can sit with me and Mami and abuelo and abuela. Thanks Papi for everything today, you made me feel safe."

"As always my girl. Now let's get you to bed" he said kissing my forehead.