Social Media Break

I had been monitoring Twitter off and on since Papi and Mami had left early in the day. It was a Saturday and I didn't have a show that day and all my homework was done. I kept noticing a pattern after a few hours that the same people would post something under one of Papi's posts.

Hamil_trash86: Wonder if Lin is out making a new musical? He usually is on Twitter like all the time! This silence is deafening.

Mariaproblems: Oh I know! He's gotta post soon or I'm gonna lose my mind. He always has the best Tweets!

SerzousBwayNerd: He probably forgot we exist or something again!

"Don't these people have a life" I sighed as Abuela looked at me funny. "Sorry I was reading Papi's twitter feed and these people are all acting crazy cause he took the day off!"

"Your Papi needed this day off" she said smiling. "People just don't get it unless they are hounded all the time by the media."

I nodded and clicked onto Facebook which was more my speed. I messaged Skye to tell her that I was on if she wanted to chat. I then opened my favorite Hamilton group and scrolled through some of the posts. One of them caught my eye and I read through it.

"So Lin doesn't like it when people call him Dad. I can get that actually. He has a year old son and he doesn't need a bunch of teenagers acting like he is their father as well. We should respect his wishes and stop using the term Dad or any other form when we speak to him or about him. You never know when he will read our posts and get angry over something we say without thinking. I urge you next time you post something and want to put Dad in it to stop and think!"

I smiled inwardly at this post and hearted it, this was a perfectly written post about how people shouldn't think of celebrities as their parents. I had the right to call Lin Papi but that didn't give everyone else that right as well. I was glad to see most everyone who replied to the post agree but two of the comments caught me off guard. I made sure to screen shot them to show to Papi tomorrow when they got home.

Lin_Lac_Prez: What if I was his adopted daughter in disguise. I would have every right to call him daddy then. You can't tell me that it's wrong me or anyone else to call him daddy. You don't control me!

Satisfied0123: Exactly! We have every right to do as we please. Freedom of speech and all that shit. Lin can't stop us from calling him dad or whatever else we choose.

I usually bit my tounge on things like this but I had to step in and stop this childish behavior. If I had to guess, they were very young teenagers at best.

DaniaMiranda01: Okay so my post will be short and thanks mod team for making it a sticky. My Papi(yes that's what I call him) has asked you all repeatedly not to call him dad. It really makes him uncomfortable and therefore he asks politely that you refrain from doing so. Will you continue to do so after being asked not to, it makes you look silly. Papi respects everyone and doesn't wish to hurt anyone and you should give him the same respect. So next time he asks you NOT to do something, out of respect for him please do as he asks.

Second, he's human and he has a life outside of the theater, twitter, facebook, etc. When he needs a break everyone shouldn't freak out! I mean come on, do you freak out when your mom goes somewhere overnight? What about your boyfriend? So why freak out when he doesn't post for a day? I promise you that we would tell you if something happened but just stirring the pot because he has gone a day without posting is making more trouble then it's worth.

Third and most important, STOP THE HATE! This is why I very rarely post on any social media platform. When I came out there was a firestorm of hate from so many people. I have a right to be happy and how I choose to be happy is MY decision and no one else's. Papi and Mami are happy with my choice and they respect me enough to allow me to follow my heart. Papi actually got a Facebook message this week from someone worried about my life choices. He blocked that person immediately. He doesn't tolerate people downing me or my choice and he will do whatever it takes to protect me. So trying to go through him to get to me is a no go and vice versa.

Thanks for reading guys and I love reading the good stuff you post. Just know that myself, Lin, and the cast do follow and read this page. So please be respectful!

I sent the post to both Facebook and Twitter and then watched as it slowly began to grow with comments. I had to stop reading after about the 30th comment as I had begun to cry. It made my heart happy to know that so many did support me and my family. Some of my favorites from Twitter I copied and pasted into an email for Papi to read.

PrettySkyeBlue: That's my girl! Way to stand up for you and your family! I am tired of reading all the hate on this page.

TrueHamFam: The code word is RESPECT! You are right Dania that respect is a two way street. You have to realize that us celebs need a break from the rat race we live in daily. We are constantly under the public scrutiny and we need that break. I applaud Lin for taking a break!

Test_Test_123: Smart girl you got there Lin. She really does take after you! Life isn't about us being in the spotlight 24/7. If we were then you as the adoring public wouldn't have new things coming from us as the artists. We have to take breaks to create more of what you love, so please remember the breaks are a good thing.

I smiled as I typed at the end of the email "Papi today I hope you are proud of what I did. I was tired of seeing people go crazy and I wanted to speak my mind. I love you and Mami and will see you tomorrow."

A/N

My word I can't believe I actually did that LOL I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I can't believe we are SO CLOSE to 100 chapters!!!!!!!!!