Finding Joy

I awoke the next morning with a massive headache and my stomach hurting pretty badly. If I had to guess I was about to get a visit from Aunt Flo. The doctor who did my surgery said it was possible she wouldn't skip a month but I wished she would. I went downstairs to get some painkillers and found Mami in the kitchen.

"Hi" I said going to the cabinet and getting some advil then getting a glass of water. "How did you sleep last night?"

"Horribly" she replied looking up at me. Her eyes were bloodshot and she looked rather tired. "I am so sorry that this all just got sprung on you but I am not sure there was any good way to break it to you. We literally found out by accident thanks to you needing blood. I really am not angry with your dad. I really don't know what I am."

I nodded "I guess I fall in that boat too. I want to say it's all good and that this changes nothing but you can't just drop a bombshell like that and it not. I don't know if he expects more of me now since we are blood related. Like does he want me to carry on the family legacy or something. I am just so conflicted on what happens now that this is out in the open."

"I honestly don't think this changes anything. He still wants you to do what you have always dreamed of doing. He wants you to be happy and for you to be the person you were meant to be. I mean I can't say for sure, that would be something you both should talk about. My issue is more on the what else can happen side."

I sighed "Yeah. What if I had a twin or he forgot another girl he was with. I know you know his ex-girlfriend and so that's not an issue. There is just that part of his college life you don't know about. That is something you both have to work through and I know you will. You both love each other too much for this to cause a rift for good."

She smiled "You are absolutely right my girl. Listen I am headed in to work today and Lin will be here all day. Have him get Sebastian out of the bed and I am sure you guys will have a fun day together. When is Skye going home?"

I shrugged "I think Chris is coming to get her at 1. Maybe once Sebastian is down for his nap Papi and I can talk."

She nodded giving me a hug and kiss on the cheek "I love you baby girl and I will see you tonight."

When Skye had left and Sebastian was napping I found Papi in his office. I knocked on the door "Can I come in please?"

"Sure, your always welcome in here" he said smiling. "Are you here about last night?"

I nodded sitting down "Yes I am. I spent a lot of time talking to Skye last night and then again this morning. I am still very confused by everything but I can't stand a rift in our relationship either. You are the best thing to ever happen in my life and I can't discount that no matter what. You brought me into your home and gave me unconditional love. You went through hell and back several times for me. I just don't know how to process all of this or how to make this fit into our life."

"I really don't want this to change anything" he sighed. "I told you all this because I thought you had a right to know. I wish at times I had known earlier but then I realize that would change so much of where we both are today. I just wish after your mother died that I had known to save you from all that you went through after that. I wouldn't trade finding you that night and adopting you for the world though. I am forever grateful to be such a small part of your life. No matter what, our family is forever."

I smiled and nodded "You are right and I know you and Mami can work this out. You love each other too much to let this destroy what you guys have. I love you Papi" I said walking over and hugging him.

"I love you too kiddo. I am glad at least at this point we have resolved our issues and are beginning to fix things" he said smiling.