First Meeting

"Good morning Dania" the social worker greeted us as Mami and I walked into her office. "My name is Grace Leesburg and I will be handling your case. Your circumstances are rather unique. If you don't mind, can you tell me an abbreviated version of your story?"

"It's nice to meet you Mrs. Leesburg and sure. When I was 9 my grandmother moved me to New York to live with my aunt and uncle who lived there. I lived with them from 9 until I was adopted by the Miranda's at age 14. While living with my aunt and uncle I was subjected to both physically and sexual assault of all kinds. One night during a drunken party they were throwing I was raped by several men. I ended up pregnant as a result of that night. At first I didn't wish to keep the baby but then I realized that there had to be a better life for her out there. So I put her up for adoption at birth and she was adopted by the Bishops. I then was adopted myself by the Miranda's and now live with them here in London. Does that cover everything?"

She smiled nodding "You can call me Grace and yes it does. It also says here in your file that all of your biological family is dead. Is that correct?"

I shook my head "No my biological father is still very much alive. When I was shot a few months ago tests were run. It would seem without either of us knowing, I was living with my real dad the whole time."

"That is a very interesting twist" she chuckled. "I have to warn you that this will be a uphill battle as the courts are not a fan of underage mothers. Are you Mrs. Nadal and your husband able to fully support her in this endeavor?"

Vanessa smiled "Yes we support our daughter fully and will do whatever is needed to be done. My husband wished to be here today but had a very important meeting that he could not get out of. He will be here as much as can be though."

Grace nodded "Yes I understand that part of why you came to London was for his next project. Was there anything else besides Ryan and his movie that brought you here?"

I shared a look with Vanessa before answering "Yes there is one more major thing. You see the man who shot me is still on the loose. Police in the states have been unable to catch Dustin and we had hoped to escape here and he wouldn't follow. According to sources though he mave have hopped a plane here to London. I know that makes matters even more problematic now."

"Are the police here in London aware of this? Okay great then it won't be as much a hurdle as you might think. We will just have to beef up security when you do begin your meetings with Ryan."

"Okay thanks" I sighed in relief. "Is there a timeline in place for that yet? I don't want to rush all this. You have the information of when we are headed out for the holidays but other than that I will be here pretty much all of the next 8 months"

"Not yet" she replied honestly. "Once I file my report from our meeting it could be up to 10 days before I hear back from the court. Once that happens then you will meet with the judge again about his decision. Once he rules in your favor, which he will I'm sure, we will set up the visitation schedule. I know you would like to see her before Christmas but I'm not sure if that will happen."

I looked down at my hands and sighed "I understand. I am already missing her second birthday as it is. Is there any way to get her present to the people taking care of her right now?"

"Of course" Grace smiled. "Do you have it with you right now?"

I nodded and took the small gift bag and handed it to her. "It's something to go with the teddy bear I gave her long ago. I hope they will let her keep it."

"I'm sure they will" she said smiling happily. "Now I need to go file this report so I will get back with you as soon as I hear something. It was nice to meet you both."

"It was nice to meet you as well" I said smiling as Mami said goodbye as well. Once we were outside I turned to look at her "What did you think?"

"I think we have an advocate on our side" she said smiling as we headed back to the car. "I feel like she will fight for your rights but also make sure Ryan is well taken care of in the process. We have one more meeting to attend and that's tomorrow."

"Whose it with Mami?" I asked as we drove to our flat.

"A lawyer" she replied sighing. "I had one of the partners back home hook us up with one. I would hope we can solve this without involving lawyers but I wanted to have one just in case. Her name is Kiara Lopez and she will meet with us at the flat. She has all the information about the case so this should be easy."

I nodded "Thanks for thinking ahead. I think I'm going to spend the rest of the day with Skye walking around our area. Maybe take Tobi to the dog park again and Sebastian can come. Shit" I said just realizing something.

"What? Is something wrong?" she asked concerned

"You know what tomorrow is right?" I asked sighing. "With everything else going on it snuck up on me."

"Oh that!" She chuckled. "Let's just say your sweet 16 has not been forgotten my baby girl. We have something planned. Now go enjoy spending the rest of the day with your lady love."

A/N

For the foreseeable future there will be NO updates on Sunday's. Due to a work conflict there just isn't much time to get something up. Hopefully things will get straightened out soon.