Tony Nominations!!

Very early one morning I was awoken by Sebastian patting my face. I looked at him and laughed "You up for the fun too buddy? Is Abuelo and Abuela here yet?" 

He nodded as if to answer both questions and I scooped him up as I got up out of bed. I decided to wear my PJ's downstairs and only stopped to put on my bunny slippers. Tobi got up from her place at the foot of my bed and we all headed downstairs.

"She is alive" Lin chuckled as he gave me a side hug. He then handed me a cup of hot chocolate. "To keep you awake during the nominations. This could take a while."

I nodded "When is Abuelo and Abuela coming over?" Just as I finished that sentence they came in the door carrying breakfast. I dug into a donut as the nomination ceremony began.

"Up next is the nominations for best Musical. And they are: Bright Star, Hamilton, School of Rock, Shuffle Along, Or the Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and All That Followed, and Waitress."

We all squealed and Abuelo put down a tally mark next to Hamilton. He was going to keep a record of how many nom's we got.

There were more nominations that I didn't pay much attention to and then they announced Best Book of a Musical: Bright Star, Hamilton, School of Rock, and Shuffle Along, Or the Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and All That Followed.

I grinned at Papi "They noticed you Papi! This is going to be the best Tony awards yet!"

After that Hamilton got nods for Costume Design, Scenic Design, Score, & Lighting design. I was so proud of Papi and his crew. They had made their mark on theater this year and it was evident in the nominations they received.

Next up was the category I knew Papi should get a nod in and I was waiting for the announcer to finally start calling out names.

"The nominees for best performance by an actor in a leading role in a musical are: Alex Brightman, School of Rock-The Musical, Danny Burstein, Fiddler on the Roof, Zachary Levi, She Loves Me, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton, and Leslie Odom, Jr., Hamilton

I squealed as I ran over and gave Papi a big hug. I was so happy for him "I knew you'd get that nod Papi. You are so amazing every night, I just wish you and Leslie weren't competing against one another."

He chuckled "No matter which of us wins, I will be happy. We have a lot of stiff competition though! This years crop of nominees is insane to say the least."

Next up was for the actress nominees. I listened as they called out Pippa's name and I knew she would win! There was no way anyone could hold a candle to her role as Eliza. I would congratulate her later in the day when we made it to the theater.

Then they announced Best Performance by an Actor in a featured role in a musical. I was excited to see both Daveed, Jonathan, and Chris were nominated. I was afraid that someone would be mad if they didn't win.

Next up is Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical and the nominees are Danielle Brooks, The Color Purple, Renée Elise Goldsberry, Hamilton, Jane Krakowski, She Loves Me, Jennifer Simard, Disaster!, and Adrienne Warren, Shuffle Along, Or the Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and All That Followed

With 3 categories to go that Hamilton could get something in we were up to 13 nods so far, the same amount that In the Heights had gotten. Of course in two categories we were stacked with nominees but that was okay with us. I couldn't wait to see if Andy, Tommy, and Alex got nominated.

The announcer then began talking again. The nominees for best direction of a musical are Michael Arden, Spring Awakening, John Doyle, The Color Purple, Scott Ellis, She Loves Me, Thomas Kail, Hamilton, and George C. Wolfe, Shuffle Along, Or the Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and All That Followed.