Begin Anew

~~~LIN'S POV~~~

I read and reread the folder several times that night not sure what I was seeing was real. I would have Vanessa investigate this before I said anything to Dania. I wanted to get all my facts straight because I didn't want to get her hopes up.

"So how was her night?" Vanessa asked as she walked into the room. She looked like she hadn't slept any last night. "Your parents told me that they would keep Sebastian as long as needed. Your mom told me to remind you to eat, she said you forget when under stress."

I chuckled lightly "Same can be said of you, we will have to keep each other accountable. She rested all night but the alarms went off several times. She didn't code again but you could tell when the pain meds were wearing off, she would get really agitated. The doctors were by a little bit ago and said the swelling had begun to go down. They were hopeful that they could close the incision possibly tomorrow. They said once they did that they would take her off sedation."

"Good, I hate seeing her like this Lin. Did you find out anything more about what is going on with her?"

I nodded "The tube in her nose is just for nutrition. Due to her blowing several IV's overnight they had to put her med's into the one in her neck. It was hard to watch them work on her at times, I just wanted to tell them to stop hurting her. It was so hard to not get up and tell them to stop."

Vanessa nodded "I know. I am not sure how I'll fare tonight but I am going to do this for our daughter. We need to be here with her even if she is sedated."

"I need you to do something for me. You know when the doctor made an offhand comment about our blood types being rare and all? Well I had him run one more test for me" I said handing her the folder.

She took it and sighed "What am I looking at Lin? What is going on here?"

"Her mom and I had a one night stand 16 years ago while I was in college. This was way back before I knew you. It was a drunken night at a party and I for sure know I used a condom. She went back to her ex-boyfriend the next day and I thought that was the end of things. When she came back to school pregnant from break I assumed it was his child and they got married. I never put two and two together about who Dania's mom was until last night. I mean she changed her hair, name, looks, and everything since I last saw her. I had the doctor run a DNA test and it came back that I am 100% her father or at least that is what those papers say. V please say something" I sighed.

"What can I say Lin? I mean you had no idea that you were the father, the bitch never had the decency to tell you. Today we find out that the girl we have been raising for the last almost 2 years is actually your daughter. It is one hell of a shock! I...I need to think on this" she sighed rubbing her temple. "I will do some digging and make sure this is legitamate before we say anything to her. I do love you and no matter what we will get through this, I just need to think. I am going to head home for now" she said giving me a quick kiss before heading out the door.

(Jumping ahead a little to when she finally wakes up)

It had been 4 whole days since the shooting and the doctors had just returned her to the room. The big tent was gone and she looked much more at peace. The doctors assured us that the surgery went well and they had been able to close the wound without much problem. They had begun to lower the meds so that she would begin to wake up on her own. I was also glad they had removed the big bulky breathing tube and replace it with a nasal tube. I knew she would freak out elsewise.

Another hour passed before I saw her eyes begin to flutter. I sighed knowing the next few minutes was going to be a test of pure will not to go pull her into my arms. I had to let the doctors check her over once she was awake.