a day in the life

"Good morning Jimmy" I said as I gave him a hug. It was 9 am on a two show day and I had to be there early. He was always there early on a two show day so that he could greet the cast as they came in. "What's on tap for the morning?"

"Hey girl!" He smiled returning my hug. "So once I get here I make sure everything is up and running. Then I check in with the guys who set up the barricades every day. Then I make sure there are no surprise guests on the list of people allowed backstage. What I mean is like famous people visiting the show and such. After that I make sure the sign in sheet is on it's peg and then we wait for people to arrive."

Once we got through our first show checklist we headed to his alcove where his usual chair was stashed. There was another chair there for me as well and we chatted for a bit. There was no big name celeb's for the first show so we didn't have to do much.

Papi was the first one through the door and I gave him a big hug "Hi Papi!"

"Good morning sunshine" Jimmy said greeting Lin with a firm handshake. "No confirmed special guests today but that doesn't mean anything as we know. Your of course the first one here boss."

"As ususal" Papi said grinning. "So how's my daughter doing so far? Is she behaving herself?"

"Of course" Jimmy nodded. "She is just as nice and friendly as her dad. I think we will get along just fine. I'm just hoping she will honor me with some singing during the show."

"I would be honored" I replied beaming. "Oops here comes Rory, best get back to it."

Once everyone had arrived we got to work making sure everything was ready for the first show. We checked the list of people signed in and found that everyone was here for the day. We made our rounds saying hello to the cast. We then went to take our post by the door for when the show was over.

"So do you want to hear a story while we wait?" Jimmy asked as we got comfortable. "I could tell you many things about your dad from the moment I met him until you walked into his life and beyond."

"Any story will be great Jimmy" I admitted. "I am sure you have stories to tell that no one has ever heard of before."

He chuckled nodding "I'll tell you two then. One from his Heights days and then a story that happened between the Public and when Hamilton was transferred here. I think you'll like that story the best."

"So back in the late 2000's a young kid walked into this theater with big ideas and dreams. He brought with him an army of people to transform this old lady into a new place for his show. I watched as he worked tirelessly with the creative team to make the set look just right. He would be here all hours of the day and night, mind you this was before he was married. One night as I was walking through the theater on my way out for the night I heard someone crying on stage. I was preplexed as I thought I was the last soul here. I walked out to find your dad standing in the middle of the mostly completly set crying. I asked him what was wrong and he told me he was so overwhelmed with gratitude for how far his first show had come. He thanked me for being such a great moral support and lending a hand when needed. I told him it was my pleasure not because it was my job but because I came to think of him as family."

"Papi says your like an Uncle to him, that you were always there for every performance. That is true dedication of someone, to be there for all the up's and down's" I admitted.

He chuckled "Which bring me to the second story and this one involves you little lady. This was the month between the public and when Hamilton started it's shows here. Your dad worked tirelessly to make sure everything would be accessible for you. Even when he was shot and went through all he did, he called here daily to make sure everything was up to speed. You have been blessed with an amazing family both at home and here at the theater. When you guys go off to London don't forget us."

I shook my head smiling "There is no way I will forget you or this family here. Plus we will not be there forever and Papi did say he wanted to step back into this role again someday. We shall see what comes up after London."

Just as the show was about to finish both Jimmy and I headed out the stage door exit. It was amazing to see so many people already there waiting for the stars to come out. Jimmy and I both signed a few autographs until we heard people exiting the theater, that was when our real job would start. With police on our side we made sure everyone lined up orderly and didn't get out of hand. Jimmy was at the door waiting to open it for whomever would come out first.

"RENEE" People shouted as Renee walked out the door first which didn't surprise me. This being a school day she was headed out to get her kids from school. She signed autographs as she moved down the line. Next out was Chris followed closely by Rory and Thayne. They all took their time handing out autographs and pictures. That went on for a bit until it seemed that no one else was going to come out the stage door.

"What happens now?" I asked after it had been a good 20 minutes of no one else exiting. "Do we stay out here forever?"

"Our general rule is we stay out for 30 minutes or until we are told otherwise. Most of the time if the cast hasn't made it out by 30 minutes they aren't going to at least on a two show day. Now on a one show day we give them up to an hour before we move back inside. The crowd though has died down because they know it's unlikely anyone else will come out" he said motioning to the thinning crowd.

We waited another 10 minutes and were glad we did. Papi made a surprise appearance and asked me to join him in signing the last remaining people's items. I enjoyed spending a few minutes with him even if it was just signing some stuff.

"Well that was fun" Papi chuckled as we ducked back inside the theater. "What are you doing for supper? I know you and Jimmy have to do some stuff first. If your available meet me in my dressing room when your done."

"We'll be done in about an hour Lin, I'll send her up then" Jimmy promised as I followed him back downstairs. We spent the next hour cleaning up from the crowd outside and making sure everything was ready for the evening cast. I also got to see what he does between shows which was watch TV and read fan email.

"See you in an hour" I promised Jimmy as I knocked on Papi's door. He let me in with a grin "I see he let you go for now. Would you like to go eat at our favorite little deli around the corner?"

I nodded "Yes! We don't get to do that much anymore since people stalk you now when you leave. Oh and did you know Sarah talked to me earlier and wants to do my front of house stuff Saturday. Do you think you guys can spare me?"

Papi nodded "Yep! You go learn how to take tickets and sell merchandise. We'll put a show on for all the fans you help."

"It's more than that Papi" I chuckled as we walked to our favorite deli. We ate and talked more about the rest of the week and what we had planned.

Once we got back Papi went to get changed and I went to find Jimmy. He had already gotten most of the stuff set up by the time I got back so we just chilled until the show started. The second show was just as fun as the first as we talked about his different shows he had been apart of.

"Here we go" he chuckled as the show finished it's last chords. We headed outside to get ready for the last stage door of the night. We mingled with some of the people waiting as the cast got ready to go home.

"JASMINE...ANTHONY" People called out as both of my friends were the first out the door. That was how it went for the next hour and a half as people left to go home for the night. Papi was one of the last people out the door and I joined him in the line to sign autographs. Once we were done I hurried back to Jimmy to say goodnight.

"Hey thanks again for the fun day" I said grinning. "I will see you again next week!"

"Yes you will, have a great weekend" he said giving me a quick hug.