Toad (Alone Together)

You were a mutant. You had the power of hypersuasion. That meant you could tell someone to do something, and they would do it. Growing up, you didn’t understand it. You thought people liked you and were your friends. And then you discovered your power. Your heart was crushed. You felt something inside you break that day.

You eventually learned to control it. You mainly spent your time getting what you wanted and manipulated people into doing things for you. The best part is, you were only one person. If you wanted, you bet that you could convince people to become an army for you.

The X- Men had come to stop you, but you had sent them away with a few simple commands.

“Leave town. Don’t look back. When you get back to wherever you came from, you won’t remember me or anything about me. You won’t pursue me again,” you had told the guy with the glasses.

You loved your ability but you constantly felt lonely. Because the people that you fell for usually thought of you as a freak. You refused to use your power to make someone love you. Even though you loved to be bad, you had your limits.

You sat on a high roof one night, just trying to clear your head. You stared at the sky and smiled at the stars. It was nights like these that you were hurt by how alone you were. You heard the sound of footsteps and looked over to see someone crouching next to you. You could tell he was also a mutant by his skin and his eyes. But you weren’t one to judge.

“I know about your power,” he said.

“Do you know my name?” you replied.

You doubted that he did.

“Y/N,” he said softly.

You looked at him, slightly surprised.

“And you are?” you asked.

“Toad. Because of my mutation,” he answered.

“Nice to meet you, Toad,” you said.

“Nice to finally talk to you, Y/N,” Toad said.

“What brings you up here?” you asked.

“You. I saw you alone and thought it was time that you finally had someone,” he responded, “It’s quite lonely up here.”

“I know,” you sighed.

Toad grabbed your hand.

“You can convince anyone to be your friend. Why don’t you?” he asked you.

“Because if it’s not real, then it’s not worth it,” you answered.

“I’m real,” he whispered.

“What are you trying to say, Toad?” you inquired.

You tilted your head to the side and looked at him. He hesitated and looked at the sky.

“The stars represent peace for people. An escape. They’re much more than stars. They hold dreams and happiness. A way of hope and a wish. Beauty and love. The stars are for everyone and no one can own one. It’s something that all the world shares,” Toad said to you.

You agreed with him. The stars were so much more than stars. You thought you were the only one who realized that. The fact that Toad saw it too made butterflies flutter in your stomach.

You gave Toad a kind and gentle smile to show that you knew he was right. It was your first real smile in a long time and it felt great.

“I guess what i’m trying to say is that you’re my star, Y/N,” Toad continued, “You don’t know me and i only know you from afar. But i really want to know more about you. We’re both bad, but together we’ll be good.”

You didn’t know how to respond. You were scared. What if it was a trick? What is he was using you?

“You promise this isn’t a trick or anything?” you asked softly.

“I promise,” he said.

You leaned in and pressed your lips to his carefully.

You both smiled at each other and Toad pulled you close to him. You laid your head on his shoulder. You both spent the night watching the stars and getting to know each other.

You didn’t feel alone anymore.