Part 3: dinner

My mother insisted that Daniel stays over for dinner tonight, but ever since we talked about me moving away to Canada, maybe, he's been oddly silent. Not the comfortable kind.
It was awkward.

"Daniel, please say something."
"What do you want me to say Tahnée?"
"I don't know. Something, anything?"

He just sighed, rubbing his hand through his dark brown quiff. I'm a novice to this. I don't know exactly what to do cause I've never experienced anything like it.
I never had a lover before Daniel. He was the first for me in everything. Kiss, cuddles... heartbreak.

"I just don't want you to be upset or angry at me." I scooted closer to him from behind, wrapping my arms around him and pressing my cheek up against his back. He's warm. It's one thing I always loved about him. That on the coldest days, when he just holds me, I feel his warmth radiating on to me.
It's the coziest embrace ever.

"I'm not. It just takes a while to process." I kissed his neck, seeing him peeking over his shoulder to me before turning around. He stood up, crawling up the bed and hovering over me.

In a swift movement he leaned down, giving me a scorching kiss and intertwining our hands before pulling away and resting down on me. "It's hard when we argue because we're both so stubborn." "We don't have to argue Daniel. There's nothing to argue about." I whispered to him as I brushed my fingers through the curls in the nape of his neck. "I just don't want to lose you."
"I told you so many times now, you're not losing me!" I laughed, kissing his cheek.

I could feel him sighing and his warm breath hit the skin in my neck, sending shivers down my spine.

"Tahnée, dinner is ready." I heard my mother yell from downstairs. I grasped Daniel in my arms and rolled us over so I was now ontop of him. "Common. Mum made spaghetti." I smiled excitedly, wanting to stand up but he quickly pulled me back down to him.

"I love you Tahnée." I gave him a deep scorching kiss. "Common." I stood up, taking his hands in mine and pulling him up from the bed before we trotted our way down the stairs to the dining room.
My mum and dad already sitting around the table, waiting patiently for me and Daniel to join them.

"It smells amazing mum." I said in total awe of the food. If you haven't yet picked it up, spaghetti is my favourite dish of all time. It tops pizza for me, and Daniel always complains about that. He thinks there's nothing better than a pizza, and if he could ever invent a tree that grows pizza bases... he wouldn't think twice about trying because his fridge would permanently be full of pizza toppings.

"Pizza would've been amazing." He whispered in my ear and I rolled my eyes, smiling over to him. "Why am I not surprised?"

We took hands, closing our eyes and saying grace before digging in and slurping up all the spaghetti.

-

"Okay, I have to say, and this rarely comes out my mouth, but for once I enjoyed spaghetti more than pizza." Daniel leaned back in his chair, looking at me with big eyes and a small smile that curved up in the corners of his lips.

My jaw almost dropped to the ground as I smiled ag him, looking over to my mum with big eyes as she look at him with the same expression. "Did you guys hear that? A darn pizza enthusiast loved spaghetti." I leaned over to him and pecked his cheek as the room filled with laughter.

What a meal.
Although my stomach feels like bursting for eating too much, I could definitely go for thirds.

After dinner we all gathered in the living room and chatted. Not too deep not to shallow, just small talk about life in general.
Daniel told my parents about how he's been holding up over the last few months, and I blushed because he obviously mentioned that fact that I helped him a lot.

His dad died a few months back, just after we started dating. At least I got to meet him, and he sure was a great man. Daniel takes after him, a lot. And since then he had a downward road for about a long two months. It got so bad that I thought he'll break up with me, because things just didn't get any better.

That's one reason why I was scared to tell him about me moving away, because I knew he'll feel sad about me leaving just a few months after his dad did too.

But as time gratuitously passed he got better and I got my sweet Daniel back. As he told the story I placed my hand down on his thigh, not long after feeling his hand taking mine.
"But yeah, other than having a few problems here and there... times are okay. My mother have been missing him a lot on some days, when a small little something reminds her back to him. Some days I feel it too but that's mostly the times when I randomly show up at you guy's' door. I'm holding her together, and I'm keeping it together too." He smiled a faint little smile.

"That's good." My parents said, letting a small moment of silence hang in the air as I just looked over to him. Seeing his eyes then locking on mine and a bigger smile forming on his lips.

"Well I should get a start on the dishes."
"I'll hell you darling."
My mum and dad excused themselves from our moment and just as they left the room we laughed. "Smooth." I chuckled, resting back in the chair.
We talked for another while on, and it seemed that for a moment he tota forgot about the whole, me moving away, thing.

He walked up to my room and I followed behind. Once we reached I was sad to see him picking up his jacket, putting on his shoes and making ready to leave.
I pouted, "Do you have to leave?" I placed my hands down on his hips, looking up at him with a constant pout on my lips. His lips curved up in a small smile as he cupped my cheeks.

"I should probably get home."
"No." I whined. Feeling the sadness taking over my heart and I pulled him in to a hug, closing me eyes as I rested my head on his chest.

His heartbeat.
It's obscure.

Whenever I imagined listening to the heartbeat of my loved one, I imagined it to be astonishing, to make me smile and happy. To make me love them even more.
But somehow, no matter how much I love Daniel, his heart doesn't make me feel that. Givig me just the exact reason why I think he's not my true lover and that some time in the near future we'll split.

But that doesn't stop me from loving him.

I felt his arms wrapping around me and he started rubbing my back. "Please stay the night?" I looked up at him, begging him with puppy eyes. Hoping he'll give in. "I have to be home by ten Tahnée. I'm sorry baby." He whispered, sighing a bit and making my smile fade.
"That's okay." I said blankly, hugging him again, to just hold on a little while longer. He kissed the top of my head, putting on his jacket and giving me one more kiss as a goodnight and goodbye.

"I'll see you again tomorrow."
"Yeah." I smiled faintly.
"Goodnight gorgeous." He blew me one more kiss before disappearing down the drain and I heard the front door closing after he greeted my parents.

This is love, but I don't know if it's true love.